Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
datawgal

Longwood or Winterthur?

Datawgal
18 years ago

I will be traveling from NJ to Washington, D.C. next week. I'll have enough extra time to tour either Longwood or Winterthur but not both.

Any thoughts on which one I should see?

Also, any outstanding nurseries in the Princeton, NJ area?

Thanks

Comments (21)

• wardw
    18 years ago

Longwood would be my choice, if you haven't been you are in for a treat. Give yourself plenty of time, it's big.

If go over the Commador Barry Bridge and take Rt 322 to the left onto US 1 you will pass Styers Nursery on the left side of US 1 a couple of miles down. It is a very fine nursery.

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

Definitely Longwood. I'm guessing that if you got 100 responses, at least 90 would vote Longwood.

Larry

• gardengranma
    18 years ago

I'm for Longwood too.

• sam_md
    18 years ago

A large part of Winterthur's appeal is the world famous museum of period furniture and home furnishings. Each floor is a seperate guided tour. If you are not interested in furniture, fabrics, silver etc I would recommend Longwood. It is alot to see in one day. There are several good retail nurseries in the greater DC area.
    Sam

• Datawgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, that is what I expected but I had to ask. The garden pictures on Winterthur's website look wonderful but I sort of remembered it was more museum than garden.

Styer's Nursery will be on the itinerary also. thanks again.

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Definitely Longwood!

{{gwi:1050569}}

• treehouse
    18 years ago

Longwood is great, however I have been introduced to Chanticleer in Wayne, PA. It is near the area you'll be in. Chanticleer is small but has so much whimsy in the hardscape you'll spent lots of time looking for the treats amongst all the plantings. I will be going back often.

Jan

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Longwood would probably be the best choice, although I would 2nd the Chanticleer recommendation. Had the opportunity to go there last year myself as a PHS member for one of the scheduled member's events and was amazed. The website for Chanticleer is here.

You'll love Styers! One of my favorite nurseries!

Longwood's website usually lists what's in bloom for each month.

Here is a link that might be useful: Longwood Gardens

• graywings123
    18 years ago

Longwood, for sure. If you have lunch in the dining room, the mushroom soup is delicious.

• ryanzone7
    18 years ago

My wife and I went to longwood for our wedding aniversery a few years back, as well as to winterthur (on the same trip, they are pretty close when you get right down to it)and after visiting longwood first and winterthur second, nothing compares with longwood.(but winterthur is nice too, in a blue haired granny sort of way)
    And since then, my wife and I have been trying to find a garden that was as impressive as longwood and we both think that there isn't one to be found on the east coast, we did visit a garden on an island near seattle two years ago and that one was just as great as longwood, albeit the name escapes me, it too was well worth the trip.
    (although here in MD garden grandma's garden is like a lil mini longwood)
    ialbtc

• Melissa_InTheWoods
    18 years ago

I thought this was going to be a question about Viburnums.. lol

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

I think Chanticleer is the ultimate garden experience.
    Today was overcast and perfect for a few photos.
    {{gwi:1050570}}
    {{gwi:1050571}}
    {{gwi:1050572}}
    {{gwi:1050573}}

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Those are great Chanticleer pics! When I was there May of 2004, I just had to grab a pic of some of their peonies in bloom at the time.

• Molineux
    18 years ago

For sheer floral profusion what is the best time of the year to visit Longwood? They are in PA so I'm assuming their spring arrives a little later than it does in Montgomery County.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

Longwood is located in a solid Zone 7 Delaware County PA so no, not necessarily later than Montgomery County, MD (which I'm off to for a biz trip next week BTW). ;-)

• brubeckgal
    18 years ago

I don't know, Professor Dirt, after looking at Chanticleer's website, I think that could become our new favorite.

(Let's see what they are serving for brunch)

• treehouse
    18 years ago

Not to disappoint you, but there is no resturant at Chanticleer. However, there are many wonderful places to eat in the town of Wayne. John Harvard House is one of them.

Jan

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

There is Bonnie's on Conestoga Rd. It's open for lunch and has wonderful food and is only a few minutes away from Chanticleer. They also do catering, I believe.

• ryanzone7
    18 years ago

O.K.
    Lets go.
    ilybbg.

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

These were taken on Chanticleer's last open day in 2004, end of October.
    {{gwi:1050576}}
    {{gwi:1050577}}
    {{gwi:1050578}}
    The sofa and chairs are quite comfortable, much to everyone's surprise!

{{gwi:1050579}}
    {{gwi:1050580}}

• ryanzone7
    18 years ago

O.K. brubeckgal, lets see if there is a motel close by as well.
    irdlybbg

Sponsored