Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horse Poop

Posted by CFMuehling 7b DC/MD 'burbs (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 10:48

I got this notice on the Upper Marlboro Freecycle list:

"HUGE pile of horse manure located In Brandywine. Nicely composed- sawdust base. We can load quickly with our tractor nights and weekends or you can load with shovel anytime. E-mail to: Tawna24@aol.com"

Nothing is as good as having someone load for you! Unless, of course, it's someone who will come spread it, too. But then, everyone has to have a dream, right? :)

Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horse Poop

How lucky is that ?? Of course only if you have a pickup to load it in.

Kathy

o

When we bought our farm we had a large pile horse poop here.We too thought it was compost that was there long enough .Ready to use. NEVER AGAIN.I had sooo many weeds I had to move garden.Nothing we could do to rid garden of all the weeds.

o

Hmmmm...
I think the lesson is never to assume that something is "compost there long enough." Give something unknown a year to "cook."

I used horse poop, right out of the pasture, in my lasagna raised beds. I think the key to my success and weed avoidence was that it was layered under leaf-gro and mulch. I have the richest, crumbly beds in the world and am thrilled with them.

Now if I could just stop the maples from rooting through the beds, changing them into mats of roots! Nothing's perfect, is it?

Christine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here