Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
difficulty with lavender

Posted by sullivjo none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 11:07

I have never had luck growing lavender in my garden or in a pot. It always does this thing where it gradually turns brown and dies one stem at a time. My guess is too much water. What is the best way to tell when lavender needs water, or does it never really need water? I love the smell, flavor, and its ability to attract bees. Are there any lavender better suited for a humid climate? I live in northwest Philadelphia, which is zone 6b. My garden is full sun, with reflective heat, and frequent breeze, although we get quite hot and humid. We also get once or twice a week downpours in the summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: difficulty with lavender

Lavender needs really good drainage. I usually mix small gravel (chicken grit, to be precise) into the soil where it is going to be planted. I also rarely water my lavender, except during the first season after planting. No guarantees though..... it's just not the right climate here. Hope this helps!

o

There is a lavender farm in central Monmouth County, NJ where they have grown about 20 varieties of lavender. If it can be grown here in central NJ, I don't see why it would not also succeed in the Philly area. They did sustain damage in last summer's heat and then Sandy, so are renovating their fields, but you might want to consider a visit - very nice people who might be able to recommend some varieties more tolerant of our climate. And, yes, they do require excellent drainage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pleasant Valley Lavender

o

As stated above, Lavender needs good drainage, and benefits from shearing during/after bloom. My best specimen grows out of a stone wall and the stem looks tortured.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here