Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

Who's growing the small/medium crape myrtles?

madsquopper
18 years ago

I'd like to put one of the smaller non-white crape myrtles (e.g. Hopi, Pecos, Tonto, Zuni) in a particular spot that needs a more upright shape than the descriptions of the small/medium CM's which is usually described as globose or dense shrub. I know that CM's easily take to pruning but I'd like to keep that to a minimum if I can. The area I'm thinking of probably can take a spread of only 8 feet, maybe 10 at most. Ideal height would top out at about 10-15 feet.

Any comments or suggestions? Is anyone growing and also shaping these? I'm planning on going down to the arboretum at some point to see their collection. I'll probably want to go with one of their cultivars since they are highly mildew resistant, or at least supposed to be.

Larry

Comments (6)

• kimka
    18 years ago

If you remember the tree at the corner of my driveway at the turn to the garage, I've got Arapaho, a watermelon colored medium crape myrtle that is less than 20 feet tall. On one of the terraces in the front I've got a strong pink in bloom now that could be Tonto which is about 15 feet tall. Both are at least 8 years old. Both are National Arboretum releases. I haven't ever shaped either one.

Here's a link with good fact sheets and photos on the National Arboretum releases

Here is a link that might be useful: National Arboretum releases

• AlyG
    18 years ago

Hi Larry,

I've got two Pecos growing in front of my house which are not *supposed* to get more than 4-5 feet tall. I'm going for the upright aspect as well, which is why I got them. Bought them as 2 gallon babies at Behnke's last fall and they're at least 3.5 x 3.5 now. They get partial shade which may account for the fact that they're a tad more wide than I thought they'd be. It's not an issue now, but may become one as they mature -- so that's something to keep in mind. I've not pruned them, save for clipping back a stray branch that was taking over the front stairs. Give it a try, you can always move them if they don't suit.

Aly

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Larry,
    I've got Baton Rouge, Petite Red Imp, Victor, Okmulgee, Purple Velvet, Velma's Royal Delight, Chisam Fire, and a couple more that escape me.

All of these range from 3-6' in height, and so far, 2-4' in diameter. The Petite Red Imp (gorgeous color), Velma's Royal Delight (almost grape-purple) and Baton Rouge (great red!) are holding true to this size. The Petite Red Imp is a nice vase shape, as is the Velma's. The Baton Rouge is more rounded.

Tonto is red with a pink-ish tinge, but definately not pink.

I'm probably going to dig up a Dallas Red if its blossoms don't darken. Far too pink, but a lovely, will-be-tall upright shape. It might work for you, but right now it's only about 1.5' tall.

I dearly love these and have them all over the place.

Christine

• babywatson
    18 years ago

I have something that was described as a "dwarf" crepe myrtle so maybe this is the same. It only grows to about five or maybe six feet tall. Mine has a deep red color to it. I'm not sure of the name for it. It is more vase shaped.

I like the crepe myrtles that have a lot of trunks growing right up from the ground, they're all part of the same tree. Are these cut this way or is it a particular type of crepe myrtle?

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Would you mind seeking out a picture of what you mean? There are vase, oviate, shrub, round, and weeping crape myrtles. They all particular types. :)

Christine

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I ended up getting a decent sized Pink Velour from Betty's Azalea Ranch for 30 bucks (on sale). The color is ideal (hot pink) and they seem about the right size.

Larry

Sponsored