Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_artist

Next Maryland plant swap?

jane_artist
16 years ago

Is it only once a year? Are there others in other places than the wonderful one in Burtonsville in the spring? I've been giving away plants on freecycle, but the swap was so much more fun, and I know other people who are interested in participating. I maybe have a big enough backyard for people if everyone did not(!) show up, but the parking for so many could be dicey. Anyway, please let me know if there are other swaps already planned.

Comments (26)

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

In the past couple of years, it's been on the 2nd Saturday in October. If I'm remembering correctly. I was just thinking about this myself today.

The fall is smaller, with maybe only 25-30 cars. Henrietta can accommodate the millions who show. :)

What's everyone thinking? Shall we start to vote?

Christine

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

I haven't healed up from the last one. Steve in Baltimore County.

• cottageflowers
    16 years ago

I am new to GW but I would like to be included in the plant swap. Where would it be? Thanks, Jenny

• alfie_md6
    16 years ago

Saturday, October 13?

I could do it at Black Hill Regional Park in Boyds (Montgomery County) again, as a possible site. I don't think that the police actually arrested anybody, the last time :-).

• lesathummergarden
    16 years ago

To Christine and everyone

Yes Christine "Dry" is not the word! As my DW said "Even the weeds in the woods are wilted"
    I'll bet that even with watering some things, I'll lose a bunch. So I'm telling myself - be positive and think ahead to upcoming gardening events.

Here are those whose dates I know, please add others.

Aug 4-5 CACTUS & SUCCULENTS - Borokside Gardens
    301-962-1400 www.brookesidegardens.org
    Aug 25 - MAGTAG - midatlatic Garden Web Tomatoe Fest
    http://forwums.gardenweb.com/midatl
    Sept 7-9 PLANT SALE - Scotts Arboretum Swathmore PA
    610-328-8025 www.scottarboretum.org
    Sep 8-9 PLANT SALE - U Del Newark
    302-831-0153 http://ag.udel.edu/udbg
    Sep 13-15 - PLANT SALE - Ginter, Richmond
    804-262-9887 www.lewiusginter.org
    Sep 14-16 GARDEN FAIR - Winterthur
    800-448-3883 www.winterthur.org
    Sep 22 - GARDEN FEST - Ginter, Richmond
    804-262-9887 www.virginiagardening.com

Any one willing to help me plug this and other entries into a free calender that we can all access?

Les Greenberg
    l.m.greenberg@verizon.net

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

I'd come. It's dry, but I am always hopeful. Besides my water bill will be astronomical, so I'll be there. I can always accomodate more roses, and I always have lots to share.

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

Ok Les, I put all the sales you listed, plus a few more I knew about on a Google Calendar. If anyone wants to be able to be able to post, they just need to send me their email, and I can put them on the list. I didn't see any other way to do it. Otherwise, you can email me and I will add it to the calendar. Click on the button below to subscribe to the calendar. Hope this works. I've never tried it before. :-)

Jen
    jlsmith0519 at gmail dot com

• riderup
    16 years ago

Last fall it was September 30 -- the last weekend of September. We made it a little early so that we could host it down here in Aquasco, and I would still be home before taking off on business travel. I've got exactly the same schedule this October. Anyway, since I don't have anything to swap, it's embarassing, but if possible, I'd like to attend.
    Eric

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

Hi All,

For the calendar, use the link below to just view. If you want to post to it, you seem to need to sign-up for your own Google Calendar account. It is easy and they don't require a ton of info. Ah, the learning curve can be steep sometimes when trying new things. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: MAG Forum Calendar

• annebert
    16 years ago

I'd prefer to have it September 29- gives us more time to get stuff established. Any chance of getting Black Hills Park then?

Eric don't worry, we have things to give you :-)

• riderup
    16 years ago

Annebert, thanks. If it's the end of September, I'll be there. If there's a real problem finding space, I could hold it down here in Aquasco again, provided I get some good guidance on what I'd need to organize.

I'm leaving tomorrow and won't be back to a computer until July 30.

• alfie_md6
    16 years ago

September 29 at Black Hill Regional Park would work too. I would just pick out a parking lot in the park and hope for the best, unless somebody insists that we need to reserve a shelter. The location is certainly great for me, but it's about an hour from Baltimore, further Prince Georges County, or the outer parts of metro Virginia (e.g., Dulles).

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

I'll be there regardless of where it is. I marked my calendar for the 29th so there are no other conflicts! :-)

Jen

• madsquopper
    16 years ago

Actually I was hoping we'd have it down at Eric's and that he'd invite some of his non-gardening buddies that we got to meet at Vlad's memorial. Cathy and I would love to see some of those folks again. However, if the swap is Sept 29 then for sure I can't make it, although I think Cathy can. We'll have a large assortment of shriveled and dried up plants to swap.

Larry

• annebert
    16 years ago

I didn't want to volunteer Eric's place, but I wouldn't mind having it there - except that it's more of a hike for just about everybody. Or we could invite Vlad's non-gardening buddies wherever we have it. I'm sorry I missed the memorial service. After all, we're celebrating Cecelia's dad's birthday at MAGTAG...

Is a Sunday an option?

• alfie_md6
    16 years ago

Sunday works for me. Eric's works for me. I will have a small assortment of hand-watered plants to swap, and also, Larry, I don't suppose you want some of that willow-leaf sunflower back? It seems to have plans for a global empire.

• madsquopper
    16 years ago

Yes, the willow-leaf sunflower is a bit aggressive, but seems to be very shallow rooted so it's easy to pull it out. I like to keep it because it's a goldfinch magnet after the seeds ripen, plus it makes a nice back of the border plant since it's so tall.

But not as tall as the NY ironweed. That's HUGE this year, already over 12 feet.

Larry

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I think it's time for another round in Montgomery County. Black Hill's on 9/29 sounds good to me.

• riderup
    16 years ago

I've been away for a week and see that September 29 looks like the date most people want. I'm happy to see the swap in Montgomery County. I'll try to get my non-swap people -- Eve, Yvonne and some others -- from our memorial service last May to join up with us. So, is Black Hills the place of choice? If so, can you give directions from southern Prince George's County?
    Eric

• alfie_md6
    16 years ago

From Southern Prince George's County, get on the Beltway. Go counterclockwise all the way to I-270N/towards Frederick. Take exit 16 toward MD-27 E/Damascus. Merge onto Father Hurley Blvd and continue on Ridge Rd. Turn left at Frederick Rd/MD-355 N. Turn left at W Old Baltimore Rd. (watch out, because this is an abrupt and not-very-marked turn). Turn left at Lake Ridge Dr into the park.

Google maps says that this is about 70 miles/90 minutes, which sounds right.

Here's the park:

http://www.mc-mncppc.org/parks/park_of_the_day/jan/parkday_jan6.shtm

Is just identifying a handy parking lot ok with everybody?

• leslies
    16 years ago

Yep, parking lot OK. September 29 OK.

If I have any plants still living by them...

• maders
    16 years ago

I've never attended before. Can I come even if all I have to swap are hosta's?
    thanks
    Heather

• kimka
    16 years ago

Heather, you would be welcome if all you brought were brownies or other nonornamental chocolate. Our philosophy is that we don't worry about one to one trades. We do ask poeple who bring no plants to be considerate about grabbing a lot of plants early in the plant swap. And that people must respect plants labeled with other people's names that are specific pre-arranged trades.

After lunch, all bets are off. If you touch a plant by some one's car, you must take one. If you ask about it, you must take two. Just ask about my sedum autum joy please.

Prearranged trades: About a month or so before the swap, "haves" and "wants" lists get posted (along with a food list for our potluck lunch). If you see something you want or have something some one else wants, you email them privately and pre-arrange a trade. Then you label those plants with your name, the name of the person who gets its and the name of the plant. Any type of label will do, but ones you can stick in the ground with the plant as an id are most welcome like even on a plastic spoon or knife.

We have several people who are really into hostas. Me, I'm looking for the two toned ones-light and dark green. So if you have any of those to swap, let me revise my comments on our ground rules. If you have two toned light and dark green hostas, you have to reserve some for Kimka first. Then well, welcome to our swap.

You will be amazed at what people will have available, especially at our spring swap. This year's drought may keep our fall swap a little more meager than usual.

Bring garden related stuff as well as plants including plastic pots, planters, tools, old magazines, seeds, just about anything.

Come have fun with us.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'm hoping that I can make it. Too bad it's not close to the farm again. Henrietta's was perfect, I could just hop in my car and get more plants (the basil run lol). Don't think I can do that from Black Hills. I should still be able to pack up quite a bit.
    Karyn

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

I vote for Eric's, too.
    Shall we start a voting thread, vs. this back and forth stuff?

Christine

• riderup
    16 years ago

I was watering when it started raining, but I knew better and just kept on watering. The rain fizzled out quickly enough!

How does a voting thread work?
    Eric

Sponsored