Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philipw22

deer newbe question

philipw2
15 years ago

I just had my first deer attack ever. They ate all my daylilies, attacked the hosta and perennial begonia and did some damage to the tomatoes. I live very near the district line in an urban area and hadn't encountered them in my 30 years of gardening.

I can protect the tomatoes with netting I think by creating gates to that area of the garden.

But the rest of my yard is too open and parklike to create a barrier.

I think this is the work of a single doe and a couple of fawn, not herds. She has been seen wandering the neighborhood.

I did a quick search online and saw these electrified sticks that zap the deer and make them averse to a yard. Has anyone tried these? I realize they probably wouldn't keep a herd out, but I wondered in my situation.

Beyond that I guess I'll try some coyote piss or other such chemical repellant.

Since this is my first attack, it isn't clear that I want to go nuclear. But any suggestions of light strategems to repell them would be appreciated.

thanks.

Comments (5)

• bluebars
    15 years ago

You have my condolences. They found food. They will be back, and they will multiply. Go nuclear. See my earlier post entitled "I quit." Venison is very good.
    BlueBars

• patapscomike
    15 years ago

Coyote pee does nothing. Hot pepper extracts or bittering agents (like Bittrex) work but need frequent re-application. Killing deer works, but it's a LOT of work and you will need to kill a lot of deer to make a dent.

The only reliable thing is netting/fencing. A four foot chicken wire fence will keep deer out 99% of the time if you design it properly- but that's not always possible. The least stressful solution is to just accept the damage as "natural pruning" (deer rarely kill anything outright) and try not to plant things the deer love.

• bluebars
    15 years ago

Then you will plant nothing. The deer have completely eaten one garden down to the roots, and these are (were) plants they are not supposed to like.
    Even plants that the deer aren't supposed to like, they either learn to like, pull out by the roots, or trample.
    Four feet of chicken wire is easily jumped, or matted down onto the plants. An eight-foot fence might work, if you don't leave a gate open.
    Netting only frustrates the deer as they crush it down and break the plants. Some plants also grow through netting, making it impossible to remove later without cutting it off.
    I also tried the Bittrex (and many other sprays), but it kept clogging up in the sprayer making it totally useless.
    Any substance you have to apply will wash off every time it rains, including pee of any kind. Soaps, garlics, and human hair do not work either.
    Yep, tried 'em all, except the rotting deer carcass trick. I'm considering those lovely silk or plastic flowers now.
    BlueBars

• land_in_berg
    15 years ago

I've actually found a pretty good solution. Our deer problem is severe. We live on 4 acres on the edge to an 1800 acre preserve. We see groups of 10-15 deer pretty routinely and never go a day without seeing at least one.

We have a 4-foot fence and a Great Pyrenees dog.

{{gwi:1050760}}

The fence does not keep the deer out, but it keeps the dog in. No deer comes anywhere near the yard when he is out. But he barks a lot, so we can't keep him out all the time. So what I do is keep the fur from every time I brush him. His fur is like wool. It clumps together in giant balls when he gets brushed. And let me tell you there is no shortage of fur. So all summer long I've been placing softball-sized clumps of fur in strategic places around the yard, near delicate plants, and on the fence. It works! Unprotected areas still get grazed, but we've cut the damage to a quarter or less of what it was last year.

Now if I could only keep the groundhogs out of my veggies!

• User
    15 years ago

My condolences about your loss. I am in a densely populated suburban area, though I have expanses of woodlands in the immediate vicinity of the house. The deer use my property as a gateway, passing through from one wooded park to the other. I have seen upwards of 8 deer traveling together. Usually more common from November through April (morning, day and dusk). I haven't seen them recently but they were probably back the other evening because they ate the Hosta ("deer lettuce"). Though I have heard it said that deer will eat just about anything if hungry enough (who wouldn't), they particularly love certain plants (hosta and azaleas among them). Lists are available on line for deer resistant plants. I have a LOT of plants (hardy and tropicals) and have to say that (at least in my particular situation/locale, etc), the deer do not go after the vast majority of the plants--so they must well fed enough to be fussy about their food preferences. I have only found deer damage on two varieties (hosta and everygreen azaleas). They don't seem to touch my hollies or rhododendrons, hardy ferns, the bamboos, the yews, boxwood, magnolias, Japanese maple, any of the tropicals or really anything else. I don't really go crazy over the eating of Hosta. Guess I've been lucky as I have not considered it an option to "go nuclear". I do spray the evergreen azaleas with a deer repellent during the winter months now. Also I empty the sand from the cat's litter out in back bordering the woods (Only problem with that is that I get every feral cat in the neighborhood visiting.)