Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky727_gw

Planted a Crape Myrtle, now its very droopy...

becky727
17 years ago

Thanks to everyone that had suggestions for nurseries that deliver. We ended up buying our tree at Behnke's where they will deliver for free if you spend $400 (and buy their annual membership). We picked out a large beautiful Natchez Crape Myrtle and had it delivered on Friday.

We are new to gardening, so we pestered them with many questions about how to plant the tree properly and followed their instructions (they would have charged $800 - twice the price of the tree - to plant it!) We dug the hole twice as wide and just as deep as the rootball. We mixed the dirt from the hole with soil ammendments and topsoil. We watered it well and then applied root starter.

By Saturday morning (the day after we planted it) the tree started to look so droopy and sad. The branches were droopy and the leaves on each branch were droopy. The whole tree seems to be leaning more and more to one side (which I think is due to the fact that it was tied to a pole at Behnke's before we bought it, so most of the branches started to grow out the one side), but it is planted so that the stems come straight up from the ground.

Is this typical for a newly planted tree? Is it going through an adjustment period? How much should be watering it?

We planted it in full sun (which we were told it would like), but I wondering if the heat is too much for it. I tried googling and saw someone suggested misting the leaves, do you think that would help?

Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be most appreciated! I'm so afraid that we are going to kill our first purchase for the yard.

Comments (4)

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

In my experience with CMs, this is a tough time of year to plant them. Mine have gone into shock so badly they went bald. I kept them watered regularly, being careful in the more clay-y soil not to drown it.

I'd stake it again, but with rope vs. a stick. Full sun is correct and it sounds like you were far more careful about planting than I ever am. [LOL].

If it loses its leaves, which it very well could, just be patient. Keep it watered and don't give up. Stay in contact with Bhenkes because of their guarantee, but even though it's frightening, I think it's normal and will pass. You might not get blossoms this year, but be patient. Next year you'll never even have to give the tree a 2nd thought. It'll establish its roots this year and next year grow 2-3' with delicious, big white blossoms!

Christine

• becky727
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for you advice and encouragement. I know this is a tough time of year to plant something, hopefully it will pull through!

How should we stake it? There are 5 thin trunks, so I assume we want to tie rope around all 5 so they don't break? Any tips?

• msazadi
    17 years ago

I'm new to this forum, but soon is the time to determine how you want those trunks intertwined. I bought a Meadows Farm white CM about 10 years ago after a trip to North Carolina, and it's about a 30' beauty now but I wish I had realized about the intertwining earlier. I think the current rains will be a godsend for your tree.

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

Sorry! I just saw this again.

You can stake it up, in which case it's wise to tie all five trucks loosely together.

However, I don't recommend the intertwining, unless you have a dwarf variety (which you do not), and it's sheltered. msazadi, if you like that look, pick up a small Acoma or some of the new shrub CMs. They're perfect to train.

CMs put up tons and tons of shoots each year. They grow out by runners and up through the middle. They also grow so quickly that if they're intertwined, sooner or later they'll get so big and thick they choke themselves.

As a matter of fact you prune a CM for trunks usually, from the inside out, depending upon where your straightest shoots are. You definately think its little spider growth on the inside to prevent disease and mildew.

Yes, I'd stake yours. Use some of that soft, green, stretchy tape and something firm in the ground on the outside of the tree. Avoid something rough that can scratch its tender bark.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone