Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

I have Delphiniums!

Molineux
18 years ago

I've been in the Washington DC metro area for about 10 years now. About 2 and a half years ago I bought a house just north of the District in Montgomery County Maryland and have been settling in gardenwise.

I used to live in Tidewater Virginia. Back then I had a great deal of success with roses but the one perennial I wanted to grow but couldn't were delphiniums. Been lusting after these picky plants for years but the hot and humid summers would murder them outright.

Last year a Maryland forum friend recommended that I try Magic Fountain delphinums. Well I can happily report that these delphiniums have not only survived but currently have the most beautiful spires of blooms in all shades of blue and white. Of course they aren't as spectacular as the Pacific Giants but I'm not complaining. I'm THRILLED to have ANY kind of dephinium growing well in my garden. Best of all the stems are really strong and haven't needed staking. Mine are about 3 feet high.

I also have some Connecticut Yankee dephiniums but they haven't bloomed yet so the jury is still out. At least they are alive so we shall see.

For those of us in Montgomery County Maryland, Magic Fountain delphiniums are definately worth trying.

Comments (13)

• bogturtle
    18 years ago

I will be looking for these plants. My wife, just this week, was admiring some amazingly blue delphiniums where we are visiting now, but I gave up on them in S. Jersey years ago. They are offered in the garden centers but never return for me.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Time for a delphinium update.

Temps for the past two weeks have been in the 90s with high humidity. The delphinums aren't fazed a bit. They are planted against the eastern side of the house and shielded from late afternoon sun.

ALL of the delphiniums are in bloom. The Connecticut Yankees are handling the heat every bit as good as the Magic Fountains. Electric blue color in every possible shade. The only difference is that the Magic Fountains have that stiff upright growth habit that we expect from a delphinium. The Connecticut Yankees have a tendency to twist and grow in other directions but if staked they will grow upright. On the positive side they have white "bees" in the center of the flower, which makes it look like a dwarf Pacific Giant. Both types have topped out at 3 feet tall.

Of the two I like the MAGIC FOUNTAINS better because of the growth habit. That said I'm reserving final judgement until later to see which one better handles sustained heat.

Of course, the last test takes place next season when I'll judge which one comes back the best. If they both perform then each type earns a permanent spot in the garden.

Have a good night,

Patrick

• Molineux
    Original Author
    18 years ago

For your viewing pleasure here is a dephinium image from my friend Tivoli Rose over at the Antique Rose Forum. As you can see Delphiniums make wonderful companion plants for roses.

{{gwi:296986}}

• spanaval
    18 years ago

Patrick, hope you'll keep us in the loop on how the Delphiniums continue to do. It has been my understanding that getting them to return and perform reliably is a problem, so I'd definitely be interested in how they do for you next year.

Suja

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Return is strictly a matter of drainage. Delphiniums aren't 'fussy' they just need cooler climates to be at their absolute best in summer. Whether they return next winter will depend on how good the drainage is in the spot they're in. It has nothing to do with cold temps, they're very hardy (and of course do much better further north.)

• blueheron
    18 years ago

They also do not like hot weather which can be a factor in their not returning the next season. That's why I recommend mulching well during the summer.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If they don't return I fully intend to grow these plants again next year as annuals. The blue is unmatched in purity and intensity. They are simply too beautiful not to have in the mixed flower borders.

BTW, every single plant has bloomed. That little corner of the yard is absolutely spectacular because of them. The quintessential cottage garden flower.

• mira_dunham
    18 years ago

When They seed is there anything that you'd like in trade for some?
    Rachel

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

A friend (and neighbor) gave me several plants this spring which I think are also magic fountains...they look the same as your picture. She grew them last year and they returned this spring. All are flowering their little heads off right now while not much else is. They're growing near my russian sage and what a site they are to behold, a real traffic stopper. I've had to stake a couple of them, a small price to pay.

I hadn't thought of saving seeds but I will and I'll post them here.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The delphiniums have finished their first flush and are on their second. Yep you read it right. After the petals dropped I cut the spent stalks off and the plants sent up new flower clusters. Those Magic Fountains are really something else.

Here is another Tivoli Image

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Molineux,

The delphinums I'm growing are like the one's you posted from the antique rose forum not the magic fountains. Do you know what those are called? I've collected a few seeds from mine and will gladly share with anyone that wants them. Apparently delph seed has a short shelf life. They are incredibly beautiful planted near my Russian sage, heliotrope, peonies and a fairy rose. They've been flowering not stop.

I have the blue and white like in your picture, plus I have a very pale blue that's striking. The seeds on those haven't dried yet.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Peggy how tall are your Delphiniums?

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

They're about 18 inches.

Sponsored