Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?

Posted by treehugger100 z6MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 18:36

Winter has killed several of the smaller varieties over the years so I am looking for one 4-6' that has an amazing fragrance, reblooms and can be trimmed. Any suggestions?

Terri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most Fragrant Butterfly Bush for PA?

huh.
I LOVE my Black Knight and Royal Red, but they get a bit big. Their scent and color are amazing. They did get slammed by the cold this year, but I just chopped them down to the ground and they're like new shrubs.

Check the Botany shop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Botany Shop

o

CEFreeman - Thanks for the link. Your bushes look amazing but wow. They are way too big for my space. I am hoping someone posts here with short and "sweet" varieties. Thanks so much!!!

o

Anyone know anything about Ellen's Blue? Is it fragrant? Do butterflies love it? I have seen butterfly bushes that are ignored by butterflies and even bees. Thanks for your help.

o

I have linked an article about research by Longwood Gardens on BB, its worth reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Bush article

o

Thank you, Sam, for an excellent article. As gardeners, we have a responsibility to be well-informed, good stewards.

The problem with butterfly bush, aside from possible invasive tendencies, is that although butterflies, bees, and other pollinators may love the nectar, it provides no food for the caterpillars. No caterpillars = no butterflies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here