Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Garlic question

Posted by darcie2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 19:07

Yesterday I dug up my elephant garlic. There were several small little bulbules dangling underneath the big head. The big cloves were wrapped in white paper, but these were yellow in color and about the size of a cm cube, flat on one side and curved on the other three. What are they? I thought they might turn into more garlic, so I plucked them off and stuck them back in the ground.

But last fall, I clearly planted just the cloves, much larger than these and wrapped in paper. Can anyone fill me in on what these are and what to do with them?

Thanks!
Darcie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Garlic question

Elephant garlic is not really a garlic but a leek relative
the little yellow bulbils can be planted but I do not know if you would get bulbe before the 2nd year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here