Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clay soil + pebbles

Posted by tabassam MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 05 at 19:18

Hi, we moved in a suburban house that had shrub borders. I took them out because they were sickly and unsightly and I wanted to start fresh. The problem is the beds have so much pebbles and small rocks and hard red clay. I'm use to sandy soil-- so I'm unsure on how to go improving the soil. I have been adding aged horse manure and leaf pro-- wondering if I need to sift the pebbles out. Thanks.
Tabby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clay soil + pebbles

I have the same problem when I establish new beds. Just keep adding the organic matter (compost). Unless a pebble is in my way when planting, I don't bother with them.

o

Tabby:

I have had to deal with this sort of problem before. There is still an old gravel driveway that runs through my back yard a few inches below the soil level. I built a heavy duty sifter to get rid of most of the gravel. I used plastic coated wire mesh with 1/4 openings, & sandwiched it between 2 layers of pressure treated 2 x 4's. The wood is just screwed together.

It is sized to be big enough to sit on top of my wheelbarrow. The dirt gets shovelled on top of the sifter & I use the shovel to break up the clods & force the dirt through the sifter.

This sort of stone removal adds a lot of time to preparing any new beds. But it does help a lot in loosening up heavy clay soils. You have to decide how bad your soil is, but I think the results are well worth the extra work.

Cheers,

Dan

o

Before you take all the pebbles out, look at what you want to put in the bed. I have a similar situation right against my house on the south side, and I haven't bothered to remove the rocks. Why? The orientation and the rocks between them let me grow zone 8 Mediterranean plants in that location (in my otherwise zone 7a yard). If you have good drainage aside from the clay itself, and want to do what I did, add compost and maybe even some sand to break up the clay, start with SMALL plants, and enjoy your rosemary, artemisia, penstemons, agastache, bulbs, drought-loving iris, etc. BTW, the key to doing this is letting the stones show on the surface - they warm the soil and keep the stems drier in wet weather.
If you want to do conventional shrubs, you probably will want to remove as many pebbles as possible and work compost into the clay to open it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here