Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarthecat_gw

Brugmansia

oscarthecat
17 years ago

Wow! yesterday my first ever brugmansia bloom appeared, Never saw one before. Beautiful peach color. A guy traded me for that one at plant swap. Henrietta the one we traded for will bloom any day. Can hardly wait to start on some stuff for next year. Steve in Baltimore County

Comments (5)

• gardengrove_ac
    17 years ago

Yeah, its my first year jumping on the brug craze too and they really are amazing plants. Although I'm gonna go bankrupt watering them (2x daily) durring this heat, my one plant is on its second flush of the summer, with about six buds about to open fully tonight (they're elongated and yellow right now, mature color is pink). These things take fertilizer like you wouldn't believe, but they grow so fast its impressive. Next year I'm hoping to bury them in the ground and see if that affects them better.
    Peace,
    Nathan

• lynn_d
    17 years ago

Mine is beginning to bud out now, I can't wait to see them again! I agree about the watering....going to need a loan pretty soon!

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Here's a pink one that I got from Steven at the Spring 2005 swap. I carried this one over winter in warm gh, but kept it dormant, then let it start growing in March and chopped it back before sending it outdoors for the summer. You can take lots of cuttings in fall and keep them in water over winter just as easily. They'll be blooming by early July, even late June and will continue with only short rest periods through frost.

This is the lighter sporadic bloom it's in now. The first blooms in early July are much heavier. 40 or more at a time. But it throws out new blooms every day, and is staying somewhat short given small pot size. I have others in huge containers which are over 8 feet tall after being chopped to nubs in spring :)

I finally ordered a Charles Grimaldi this year and it's not bloomed heavily yet, but is gorgeous orange color and the scent is unbelievable! I will have cuttings of that for either fall or spring swap depending on the weather this fall.

• sfmiller
    17 years ago

Hey, I recognize that brug! It looks great! Sadly, its parent plant didn't survive the malign neglect it got in the basement this past winter. Can I put in for a cutting, Cynthia?

Speaking of malign neglect, I have a small (18" or so) Charles Grimaldi brug that has long since outgrown its small pot. I've been trying to give it away rather than pot it up but none of my neighbors want it once I tell them how much food and water it needs. It has formed the Y and will probably bloom this year. Free for the taking to anyone who wants to come pick it up. (I'm near the Univ. of Maryland.)

Steven

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Steven, Will do! Fall swap is a little out of my range this year, but I will carry over plenty of cuttings and have them in spring. Probably some Y cuttings too, as I just chop the brugs down and stuff stems in watering cans in gh for the winter. So they're pretty good sized starts. You really should keep the Charles Grimaldi, the scent is unbelievable at night.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting