Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simgirl_gw

Privacy Hedge over fence in tight space

simgirl
15 years ago

No, there are no major constraints... LOL.

We have a strip of yard that is about 9-10'x 40' hemmed in on one sided by our house and detached garage, a 6' fence on the other. Beyond the fence is the sidewalk and, on two sides, street. On the other side of the street is a house, so about 30' away, with windows that look directly down into our yard. We'd like some privacy in this area, and need something taller than the fence, evergreen, tolerant of FULL sun, yet not Leyland-like in size, due to the narrow width of the area. Fast-growing is OK, and mature heights up to 20' are fine. We cannot erect a taller fence, lattice, other tall structural element due to HOA constraints. Plants are OK.

I've been looking at Wax Myrtles, hollies, and reluctantly at Thuja, but I'm worried that Thuja is just too big. Nearby, but not in the same narrow plot we have Viburnum that is exuberant, Red Maple, and Yoshino Cherry that are doing well. There is a small hedge of some type of laurel that is nearby with the same exposure and is doing very well.

Suggestions most welcome.

Comments (3)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

I couldn't follow your description because I'm not sure what parts of the yard you are referring to. Regardless, the issue seems to be that you have neighbors 30 feet away who can look from their upper windows into some part of your yard - front, back or side.

I know that people have different levels of need for privacy, but a 20-foot privacy hedge to screen out the occasional glance from an upstairs window seems kind of extreme. It is possible that a single well-placed tree could give a sense of privacy while not giving your yard a fortress-like look that will block the sunlight for you and possibly some unfortunate neighbor.

• simgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Graywings for your response. I'll try to clarify this:

Our house and garage form one side of the space. Adjacent to the house/garage there is a yard space that is about 10' wide x 40' long, with a 6' fence that frames the space. (e.g., it's a rectangle with the house/garage on one side, and fence on the three other sides.) We are on a corner with the street/alley on two sides beyond the fence and a park beyond the street on the one side. Our neighbor's house faces the park; the side of our house faces it, as well as the long side of the space in question. The park is on a sloping hill, which segues to homes that sit about 40' above our lot on the other side of the park. It is very windy here, too, so a plant that would break the wind would be appreciated, especially in winter. I'd like to be able to create a small, private space in this area, right now it feels very exposed from all directions.

Behind our lot, about 30' from our fence, is our neighbor's front porch, which is elevated about 5', so their porch floor is at level with the top of our fence. Their porch, and their windows, look directly into our yard and at the back of our house (which is our family room, our bedroom, and our bathroom.) Their lot/house sits perpendicular to our lot, so the entire side of their house faces the back of our house; most of their windows face our yard/house due to floor plan configuration.

Because we are on a corner, there are no height constraints, 20' is fine, due to the garage/house heights nearby. We do need some year-round screening here if at all possible; an ornamental tree is not enough. I am not concerned about blocking sunlight in this case, because most of the direct sun comes from a different exposure and would be unaffected by this hedge/tree/whatever.

The opposite side of our lot, on the other side of the garage and facing their lot, has a viburnum hedge and a large maple tree that is great for privacy in the summer. The neighbors in question have planted leylands inside their back yard facing that side of our back yard/house, presumably to block our direct view into their yard from our back door. We're rather on top of each other here, due to small lot size.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

• nycefarm_gw
    15 years ago

How about a row of sky pencil hollies? They are narrow and evergreen. Once established they will grow fast.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville