Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoriginalannebert

Where are the Japanese beetles?

annebert
15 years ago

OK, I know it sounds weird to care (butterflies are much nicer), but I have seen about 3 so far this year. Anybody else notice this? Global warming?....

Comments (18)

• avoirgold
    15 years ago

I have lots of brown beetles as they tend to die in my pool, but haven't seen much of the green ones.

Jen

• collectordi
    15 years ago

I went out to my roses with my bucket of soapy water to catch Japanese beetles and I caught about 6-8 but haven't found any more. I'm quite pleased because in past years they were all over my roses. I was wondering if last years drought kept them from crawling into the soil but then I remembered that I'd found plenty of grubs when I was digging in the spring. Maybe they were all June bug grubs we've got plenty of those.

• gardengranma
    15 years ago

I think the drought from last year and the year before will give us a small harvest this year, but with all the rain this year there should be plenty nect year.

• momj47
    15 years ago

I saw a few in the grass, and one in the garage being attacked by another bug. I wonder if something is wrong with them this year. Not that I miss them.

• aka_peggy
    15 years ago

I've seen NONE...even on my roses. I remember a drought a few years ago that didn't stop em. They weren't too bad last year either.

Hallelujah!!!

• careyj
    15 years ago

They are all in my yard destroying my hybiscus and cannas. Although I do think there are not as many as previous years.

Ya'll are so lucky not to have them.

Carey

• busyasabee
    15 years ago

Only found two on my roses last week, and I squished them!!! Good riddance! I don't miss them at all.

• watergal
    15 years ago

I haven't had time to be out in the yard much at all, but I haven't seen any either. Something is eating the leaves off of my rose though.

• aka_peggy
    15 years ago

The only good Japanese beetle is lunch.

{{gwi:63347}}

• green76thumb
    15 years ago

Only seen about a dozen in my yard. Don't miss them, but I do miss the fireflies which are scarce this year too. FYI-very dry here last year, but I watered my yard almost daily since I had picked a lousy time (in hindsight) to start a new lawn.

• bluebars
    15 years ago

aka_peggy,
    What a fabulous pic of the wheel bug / assassin bug! And I just noticed, it seems he has another one on his back! What a unique and interesting photo of fascinating creatures!
    BlueBars

• stompede
    15 years ago

In my area they have been heavy in some areas, light in most areas. I think most areas have seen their numbers peak over the past couple of years. Wait a few years for a new swarm.

• hanklin
    15 years ago

Do ya think those assasin bugs are really thinking about lunch? Oh my little brain!LOL I haven't seen any J.beetles either here in western northern Va. Hank

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

Oh drat. I have seen about two Japanese beetles, total. No sign of them on the raspberries. No sign of them on the rugosa roses. I was thinking, maybe the reason I had such problems with Japanese beetles in previous years (except for last year) was because the guy we bought the house from put in a new lawn, and now that the lawn is no longer new, the Japanese beetles have gone away? But if everybody else doesn't have Japanese beetles this year either, then that means that eventually they will come back...

• stompede
    15 years ago

Grubs like turf roots no matter if it's new or old. That said, because you treat your lawn for beetles doesn't mean you won't have them since research has shown that when they emerge they fly a bit before feeding. In other words, chances are your beetles were your neighbor's grubs.

• watergal
    15 years ago

My ag professor thought that the beetles would be pretty sparse this year because of the droughts we've been having, especially the one last summer. The grubs don't do well in dry soil.

I haven't had time to be out in the garden hardly at all, but I haven't seen any. Certainly there are not the clusters of them on my crepe myrtle and hibiscus like I usually see.

• stompede
    15 years ago

Many entomologists I have talked to over the years disagree, saying only extreme droughts or extreme flooding would ever effect grub/beetle populations. Like the sort of event that would kill most available hosts, not seasonally dry which can just force a short-term dormancy.

• billinpa
    15 years ago

Although not as bad as last year I think they are all at my house in Southern PA eating my raspberry plants. I pick off 20-25 everytime I walk by.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?