Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swissmiss_gw

'creeping fig' type vine desired for brick house

swissmiss
18 years ago

We had a vine called "creeping fig" growing up a chimney of our masonry house in California. We have now moved to a brick home in Maryland (I miss our California dirt!) and would like to have a similar flat, small leaf spreading vine growing on our house (we desire a softening, aging effect). I have only seen large leaf ivy growing on homes (not on many homes, probably for good reason as I can tell from the "english/boston ivy posts). Does anyone have any suggestions? Many thanks.

Comments (6)

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

Ficus pumila seems to be hardy in Georgetown. You don't mention where you are/what zone.

Here it is at Dumbarton Oaks:

{{gwi:1051029}}

But are you sure you want something growing on your house? Could damage the mortar (or whatzacallit) between the bricks, and provide safe harbor for insects to build nests and figure out how to access your house....

• steve_nj
    18 years ago

It appears the photo was taken inside a greenhouse or atrium. A more reliably hardy clinging vine for outdoors with similar effect is Schizophragma hydrangeoides 'Brookside Littleleaf'. There is also a variegated leaved form which should show off well against brick. Although deciduous, the effect is similar with the added bonus of flowers. A native (clinging)'climbing hydrangea' for moist/wet conditions is Decumaria barbara.

• Arl_Tom
    18 years ago

Bignonia vine is much coarser than fig vine, but it will definitely stick to brick, is evergreen and has beautiful flowers too. I probably over-fertilized mine, because it grew to the attic (3rd story) in one summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCSU Fact Sheet

• swissmiss
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Many thanks for your suggestions/input. I'm zone 7/ Potomac. I know I'm a little crazy to want to grow a potentially damaging vine on brick. I've just had to put in deer resistant plants that I'm not that wild about, so somehow this compensates. Thanks again.

• cmacgardens
    16 years ago

Does anyone have information on the creeping fig vine's root system? We bought a 1930 cottage home covered to roofline with the creeping fig vine on 2/3rds of the home. The vine is over 20 years old and has a expansive root structure with roots as large as tree braches; the roots are now uplifting our patio brick. On closer inspection we learned the vine surrounds the base of the home hugging/squeezing into the stucco and causing errosion - even where no vine is growing.

Be aware vine seeker as we have experienced vine damage to our brick fireplace and stucco as the vine's suckers attach to the surface as it climbs and the succkers do not peel off when the vine is pulled off. Our vine has invade the window frames and when removed the paint was taken of with the vine. It is a plant that needs to be kept on top off as it will uplift your roof line as well as your foundational masonary work.

We want to maintain the vines integrity on the front of our home and remove it and all those roots elsewhere. Any advise?

Sponsored