Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decimated by Pestilence, Yup I feel like giving up!!

Posted by sandra_christie 7 Annapolis (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 07 at 22:29

Tonight I had to yank out all of my crookneck squash plants, it was a sorry mess. I realized something (bad) was up when I went to get some squash and two of the moths were frollicking among the plants. On closer inspection (now I realize that means being MUCH more diligent than I had been) I saw several frass and holes, and each plant had at least 4 grubs in the stems, and numerous eggs all over. I've had some beautiful squash for the past month, so I guess I've had a good run (maybe 50 squash total), but it was a sad task. Just sharing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decimated by Pestilence, Yup I feel like giving up!!

So start another crop! You have time before frost to get in another batch. Plus, the extra warm ground this time of year makes germination just 2-3 days instead of the week it takes in spring. (I found that out when I put out some squash seeds in pots a couple of weeks ago. In 5 days they were a couple of inches tall. I sincerely think they'll be blooming in 30 days from seed!)

o
RE: Decimated by Pestilence, Yup I feel like giving up!!

Wow another chance! I think I'll go for it, and I might even miss the squash borer this time if they have gone through their cycles. Fascinating business this gardening, isn't it. Will plant seeds tomorrow!!!
Happy Again in Annapolis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here