Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silver78_gw

Lack of Rain?

silver78
17 years ago

Anyone else having problems? I live in Montgomery county and I have two maples that are browning out - the lawn went several weeks ago. But nothing on the local news about a lack of rainfall. Did I miss something?

Comments on your rainfall situation are appreciated.

Comments (16)

• kimka
    17 years ago

The weather guys on some TV channels have been mentioning that if you take the deluges of July out of the count that we are down as much as 10 inches on the year, but only in some spots. All year, the rain has come pretty much in a random spotted pattern where it may rain an inch in one neighborhood and the one next to it stays completely dry.

Where I am in in Silver Spring, it has been a terribly dry summer. I have already lost some ferns and a couple of other new plants because I can't get to some spots to water enough. And I don't want to think about what my water bill will be for the summer.

• butterflygal21797
    17 years ago

I'm in Western Howard County, and it's been really dry here this summer, too. My lawn is mostly weeds, so it's doing pretty well, but a planting bed I renovated in an already dry area this spring isn't faring so well. I think I'm going to have to move most of the plants this fall and replant with some drought-loving natives.

I've lost some ferns, too, ones I had moved this spring and wasn't able to water frequently enough. My raised bed vegetable garden is suffering, too.

One good thing about drought. Look around and see what's doing well -- these are the plants that should probably form the backbone of your garden because they're survivors. The plants in my garden that are thriving in this dry heat include Joe Pye Weed, butterfly weed, purple coneflower, rudbeckia (fulgida 'Goldsturm', triloba, and laciniata), and my panicum (switchgrass)and little bluestem grasses. I don't think it's just an accident that all of these (except purple coneflower, which is a prairie plant) are native to the Maryland piedmont.

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

Here in Baltimore County we are seeing some grass browning. I have had to water some beds. See no damage to shrubberyetc. But it is definitely a dry period as a matter of fact borders on drought. Steve in Baltimore County

• creatrix
    17 years ago

Richmond, VA is getting right toasty- the oaks are wilting. The tulip poplars are dropping leaves along with some maples. We're under voluntary water restriction. I don't usually water the grass, but my beds are suffering. My oaks get some water since I garden under them. I've abused the oaks a bit while planting, but they do get some benefit!

I usually water Thurs. and Friday, but Wed. and Friday are my days by the schedule. It's a pain.

I don't think most folks with irrigation systems change anything when we're under restriction. That annoys me.

• gardenpaws_VA
    17 years ago

Western Fairfax County, here. We had a sprinkle the other day, but are very dry overall. My pin oak is shedding, the weeping cherry and hemlock look pretty bad, and the only edibles that are really doing decently are my two fig trees. The azaleas, vinca and perennials on the north-facing slope at the back of the yard are barely surviving, as hand watering doesn't do much for them with the slope.

We're not on restrictions, officially, that I know of, but I don't water lawns as a matter of principle. I've started using gray water (showers) for the trees and shrubs and their underplantings (not the edibles) because I don't want to take more water from the system than I need to.

Unfortunately, everything new, or in pots, is taking a double hit, because anything which plumps up is fair game for desperate squirrels.

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

Butterflygal, what an interesting and informative post. You know I have lived here 40 yrs and have no idea what plants are native to Maryland. I suppose there is a long list of these someplace. Thank You Steve in Baltimore County.

• oogy4plants
    17 years ago

Oh, yes. It is very dry where I live in Montgomery Co. I think the flood in June was the last time the ground got a good soaking. Trees and shrubs are looking limp and turning brown or other colors. My veggie garden and a few plants in pots get watered when I can stand to be outside. I have mostly hardy perennials and native plants in my flower gardens and they are doing very well, as usual. I don't do any pampering. I weeded most of the gardens and it was easier than usual because of the drought.
    Some new shrubs and ferns I planted recently need water.

I've been doing the rain dance and praying for a downpour.
    Please help!

• graywings123
    17 years ago

I am in northern Anne Arundel county, MD and am seeing trees losing their leaves already.

• jtw1946
    17 years ago

Here in Calvert county there are early leaf drops from trees. My yarrow summer pastels all drooped over and most died. Strange because they are supposed to be drought tolerant. Any suggestions?

• butterflygal21797
    17 years ago

Oscarthecat, if you're interested in learning more about plants native to our area, check out this website:

http://www.fws.gov/chesapeakebay/bayscapes.htm

The Fish and Wildlife Service has put together this great site to help educate people about the importance of planting natives, and their role in the health of the Chesapeake Bay.

The site has some great plant lists which also show which area of Maryland the plants are native to (Mountain, Piedmont, or Coastal).

There is also a free hard copy of the plant list which you can request online. It includes color thumbnail pictures of the plants. I borrowed a copy of the guide from the library and found it very informative, so I just requested my own copy the other day.

I'm always happy to share my enthusiasm for Maryland's native plants. They tend to be much easier to grow for me, and the benefits for wildlife are many. Since I started concentrating on native plantings about 5 years ago, I have more birds and butterflies in my yard than ever before.

• silver78
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The list of native plants is a great place to start - but it has limitations. Not every native plant is a "good" plant. For example the list includes the Box Elder tree which most consider a poor plant for anthing but the most difficult growing sites. Another example of a less desirable native plant is the Sassafras tree which along with the White Mulberry tree was the target of a recent e-mail thread on this board.

There is no substitute for personal research.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

"I don't think most folks with irrigation systems change anything when we're under restriction."

It seems like there are a lot of folks with irrigation systems that do not change anything, no matter what. There is just something odd about watching a sprinkler system running in the pouring rain. I admit to being "anti-irrigation system", but after these last few summers I can sure see the value!

The forecast calls for a chance of rain this evening...I am crossing my fingers...and toes!!

- Brent

• radagast
    17 years ago

If we're lucky, that tropical storm down near Florida will head up our way near the weekend and bring some rain, too.

Up here in Anne Arundel county, trees are losing their leaves, and the young trees are hit the hardest, of course. Norway Maples seem to be taking a beating, too, but they are an invasive pest, so I don't feel bad about that.

Aside from the flooding rain in late June I believe, it has been a terribly dry and hot summer. Ugh...

• rico_md
    17 years ago

Well radagast, you may get your wish. According to one of the forecast models, the area could receive up to 6" of rain within the 36 hour period ending at 8am Saturday morning from the reminants of Ernesto. Friday is going to be a wet day with the possibility of tornadoes.

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Wednesday, driving to work, the grass along RT 50 was all brown. I have not been out to look yet but I'm betting yesterday has made up for what we were behind.
    I can't wait for daylight so I can go check the level of the frog pond. Where's my flashlight?

• creatrix
    17 years ago

Got rain! About 3.5" here in my part of Richmond.

I was out yesterday and a furniture store had sprinklers on during the downpour at about 1:30pm.

There are rain gauge monitors for irrigation systems now. From what I understand, it's no longer that expensive to retrofit for them. There are also newer irrigation heads that don't send up such a fine mist, so less water is lost.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County