Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aly1917

Where to find Knockout Roses?

AlyG
18 years ago

Morning All,

I know it's kinda late in the season, but a neighbor and I are planning a largish project for fall planting and would like to purchase 8-10 Knockout roses for it. Has anyone seen Knockouts for sale in the DC metro area recently?

TIA,

Aly

Comments (14)

• tabassam
    18 years ago

I would check home depot or Lowe's. That's where I got mine this year.

• AlyG
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks tabassam, will do!

Aly

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Behnke's in Beltsville carried KOs in the spring.

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Homestead had them yesterday in pink, red, and red double -- but *I* don't intend to spend $40 on one 5-gallon bush!

That said, I have a nice Blush Knockout I bought last Fall whose color turns out wrong for its location -- I'd gladly swap this big bush for a Double Red KO if someone wants to come get it...

Lynn

• bellevie
    18 years ago

It's not really in the DC metro area, but Valley View Farms in Cockeysville (a Balto suburb) had tons of them a couple of months ago when I bought mine, and said they'd be carrying them through fall. They had the double KO and all the single colors. $19.99 for a 1 gallon shrub, and they have taken off beautifully.

Don't believe what they say about being resistant to Japanese beetles, though. The JBs had a field day with one of mine until I figured out what was going on.

Lesley

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Yes -- the JBs PREFERRED my KO to the other roses in the area! I must have drowned a hundred each morning for two weeks, and lost all bloom during that time!

Lynn

• cynthia_gw
    18 years ago

There were a dozen Knockouts on the mark down cart at my local Home Depot yesterday. $5 each. I didn't buy any as I have too many KOs already, all acquired for $5 to $10 at end of season sales in previous years.

• AlyG
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh??? Where's you local HD, Cynthia?

:)

Aly

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Cynthia or Aly, would you mind picking me up a red double KO for delivery at the MAG swap? I'm working today, then rushing off to catch a plane, and won't be back til Tuesday...

Do you want my Blush KO in return, Aly?

Lynn

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Anybody bcome back with an extra double-red KO?

Lynn

• AlyG
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lynn,

Sorry to be so late responding, I got backed up with work. Ugh. I'd be happy to trade for the Blush KO, once I find some red KOs. Sunday, we hit 2 HDs and the closest Lowes (New Carollton). Nobody had KOs of any color. #$%^& Lots of Flowercarpet roses going for TWO DOLLARS, though, and every store had spring bulbs in already. Boy was I tempted!!! I plan to go 'hunting' this weekend and if I find some red KOs, I will pick one up for you.

Wish me luck.

Aly

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Thanks, Aly -- good hunting!

When I bought that Blush KO last fall, it had multicolored blossoms, ranging from pale shell to hot pink. I'm finding that the bloom color is temperature-sensitive -- its color all summer has been too pale to please me, but the buds set during the recent cool weather are hot pink again. So it still needs to go -- I want more "pop" in that bed -- but be aware when YOU place it...

Lynn

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

I was at Meadows Farms yesterday and they had a bunch of KO roses (it was the store on the corner of Route 7 and Barron Cammeron). They were decent sized plants with a price label of $25. A lady next to me commented that the Meadows Farms store down the street had them for $20. I think the colors were hot pink and red.

- Brent

• AlyG
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LynnT, I'm still hunting and haven't found any KOs yet. Wish I'd seen Brent's post last weekend. ARGH!! Don't give up hope yet, Lynne, I figure I'll find them soon.

Aly

Sponsored