Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

It's August already - who's coming to MAGTAG?

cecilia_md7a
13 years ago

This has been the strangest (and hottest) summer I can remember - I hope that things cool down by the 21st. My tomato harvest has been pretty sorry so far, but perhaps it's just running late ...

Anyway, who plans on attending this year's Tomato Festival, and are there any special tomatoes you're bringing? Remember, if you don't have tomatoes, bring food!

I will go down into the bowels of our basement and check what leftover supplies we have. Greg F., do your kids want to handle the awards again? How about the tip jar?

DH Dave might not be able to grill this year, as he could be having surgery on the leg that he had the DVT in a few years ago - it's bothering him again and the docs think that it's probably not another clot since he's on coumadin, but there may be some kind of blockage. As far as I know, Greg M. will still be available to man the grills.

I'll be doing the BLT bar again this year. Also, Dave snagged brand new copies of Amy Goldman's Heirloom Tomato book and "Heirloom" by Tim Stark. They are review copies the publishers sent to the Baltimore Sun, where Dave works He figures we could raffle them off for charity ... maybe Trudi's organization? Comments?

Comments (14)

• oscarthecat
    13 years ago

Sounds good to me and lots of things not growing right this year. Steve S.

• gardnwatch
    13 years ago

I'll be there if I'm not sick with Lyme again. I'll bring whatever tomatoes I have and probably something else to eat too. It's been too hot to set blossoms right this year. I've got Romas and SunGold but not much else.

Bonnie

• winnie850
    13 years ago

I'll be there and hope to bring my daughter who lives on the eastern shore of MD. Her best friend will be visiting from England at that time. If her friend comes, maybe she'll win the " came from most far" award.
    I'll bring some food and maters.
    Gladys

• oogy4plants
    13 years ago

I'm checking in to make sure of the date. I hope there are tomatoes since I am unable to grow them myself. I will bring some food and maybe tomatoes from the farmer's market.

• gflynn
    13 years ago

I will surely be there and the kids are making awards and a Tip Jar.

Many of my plants are past due but some are just getting ready. Last night the wind knocked down a few but I should be fine with quite few things especially my MORX growout cherries which ended up in 5 or 6 different colors. A real popuri of colors and lots of flavors. I am going to put 20 MORX seeds per/coin envelop and make them available so others can try this. Makes a very colorful tomato bowl.

Greg

• pumpkinhead1961
    13 years ago

My brother Joe and I will be there, and possibly his wife. He's got some Aunt Gertie's Gold and a few others. My big tomatoes didn't set fruit this year (been too damm hot), but my white currant's are producing some. Hopefully I'll have a couple dozen in time for next Saturday.
    We'll both be bringing food, and I'll be bringing an actual toaster so we can make proper BLTs.
    If someone can bring a CD player, I'll bring some music.

See you Saturday!

• lynnt
    13 years ago

My Nebraska Wedding tomatoes are the only ones setting fruit -- I will see if I have enough green ones to make Mater Sammitches (green tomato slices stuffed with boursin and basil, then breaded and fried) again. I HAVE been getting enough bruisy maters from the farmer's market to put up lotsa tomato sauce, but it just isn't the same as picking my own slicers!

Lynn

• hankg_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Lynn,
    Please bring a Neb. Wedding tomatoe (I'm thinking about running for vice president) for me. Really curious about the name.

Hank

• annebert
    13 years ago

I'll be there - with the weird weather, not sure what I'll have in the way of tomatoes, but will do my best.

• mirka_g
    13 years ago

Ain't got no maters'

I guess I shall brings gobs unless it is too hot. What are gobs?
    for those of younse that are not from Johnstown they are chocolatey cakes with icing filling
    Mary

• busyasabee
    13 years ago

me me me!
    see you all this Sat.

Jette

• gflynn
    13 years ago

The weather still looks good but getting hotter. Cross your fingers!

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary, I know what gobs are - my in-laws are from Somerset, PA.

I need to remember to bring the food scale along.

• mirka_g
    13 years ago

Hello Cecelia looks like I shall not be able to come today
    MAry

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting