Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encore Azaleas or other foundation planting

Posted by lvmygrdn z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 8:33

Okay so I don't really care for azaleas but I saw some at a local nursery and they were in bloom and I thought hmmm. I have perennials planted in front of the house near the foundation. They look great but in the winter there is nothing so I thought I would put something evergreen there. I like flowers so I thought Azalea. The site is part sun. Has anyone had experience with Encore Azaleas? One nursery said they were iffy here. I know about flowers but when it comes to shrubs..I'm lost. Thanks much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Azaleas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encore Azaleas or other foundation planting

I've had Encores for 9 years and they do very well here just southwest of Richmond (zone 7.) They bloom well in the spring, put out sporadic blooms all summer, and then put on another beautiful flush of blooms in fall. There are quite a few different Encores available now and they come in different forms (upright, spreading, etc.) Do a google search for them and you will find their website with colors and forms identified. I highly recommend them.

o

My Encores have done fine except when they get nibbled by deer. If you are planting them near a foundation, make sure to monitor the soil Ph since azaleas are acid loving and leaching from concrete or bricks will make the area more alkaline over time.

Larry

o

Thank you Larry for your reply. The leaching is something that I am concerned about as I have a brick front. My neighbors have azaleas and they are doing fine and I can bet none of them thought to test their PH let alone mulch.My neighbors think I'm obsessed with the garden and a little wacky. :-) I would have to say yes on both accounts. I like the idea that the Encore azaleas bloom in spring & fall. I think I'm going to give them a try. I will test the soil and see what it needs. Thanks again.

o

I like e'm, too. I prefer the Exter series, but they're all beautiful.

Christine

o

I am thinking of using encore azaleas along the border of a front walk. A person at a store told me they would bloom as noted here and they would be green in the winter months even though that is not a time for blooms. I would like a plant with color that looks good in winter, but don't want to add just another variety of holly or evergreen. Do you think encore azaleas will meet my needs. I can control the size of the plant. Thanks.
Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here