Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

MAGTAG Stats - Which Varieties Won? etc.

cecilia_md7a
16 years ago

(CROSS-POST WITH T-VILLE)

I know somebody was keeping track, but it wasn't me!

I think Trudi took second price and Greg F. took third and first; but I can't remember the actual varieties that won.

I think Anne was keeping track of the actual number of varieties (60-something), and I think Trudi has the scorecards for the top 10. Enquiring minds need to know!

I didn't do an actual headcount, but it seemed to me that we had a few more attendees this year than last, despite the horrible weather.

Comments (10)

• kimka
    16 years ago

Ceclia organized another great event. All kudos to her.

It was really fun being able to taste all those varieties in one place. I now know a lot more about what I like and don't like as much.

The food (as usual) was really super.

I was sorry to leave abit early, but I reached my heat saturation and had to go find some AC.

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, Kim - it wasn't just me - give credit where credit is due! My "lovely assistant" Greg F. deserves kudos for his work on organizing the fest. Even though he did manage to walk away with TWO of those cute awards his daughter made.

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

I'm home, just walked in the door and uploaded the picts from my camera. I'll have them online for viewing tomorrow or Wednesday. We're totally beat, it was a long 4 day weekend in a LOT of heat, but it was a wonderful weekend.

MAGTAG 2007 was a lovely event, lots of people and tomatoes. It was freaking hot, maybe in the high 90s and I think that the weather kept some people away, and some left early, but still it was very crowded at times.

The biggest tomato was CHAPMAN, weighing 32.3 oz.

Greg Flynn won 1st with Sungold and 3rd with Little Lucky.

I won 2nd place with Red Currant. (STUNNER!)

Greg's daughter made some adorable ribbons for 1sr, 2nd and 3rd.

This is the list of 1-10.

1) 9.5 Sungold ~ Greg

2) 9.1 Red Currant ~ Trudi

3) 9.0 Little Lucky ~ Greg

4) 8.8 Taxi ~ Greg

5) 8.8 Black Cherry ~ Greg

6) 8.6 Bradley ~ BlueKat

7) 8.6 Earl's Faux ~ Greg

8) 8.5 Marianna's Peace x Prue ~ Greg

9) 8.4 White Currant ~ Wayne

1. 8.3 Brianna ~ BlueKat

There was lots of good food ~ a BLT Bar, chicken, hot dogs and burgers, tomato salsa and deep fried green tomatoes, brownies, two rum cakes, pies, and chips and dips. And some really wickedly good homemade brews.

T

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

Oh you are killing me! I just could not come down. But it sounds like you had fun, good grub and congrats to all the winners. Steve in Baltimore County.

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the winners, Trudi!

I noticed that there were few repeat winners from last year: Sungold (of course) and Black Cherry. We had a very different assortment of tomatoes this year. One of last year's top ten, Olena Ukrainian, wasn't even represented at the fest, and I know quite a few of us got seeds for it last year after tasting it. My OUs got blight and bit the dust early (and the few I harvested were VERY acidic); BlueKat says hers were a flop this year. Just goes to show what a difference the weather can make from year to year.

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, do I win an award for most family members at MAGTAG? My dad, two sisters, two of my five brothers, a niece, a nephew, my husband, and my mother- and father-in-law all showed up!

• adenn1
    16 years ago

I really liked the ground cherries...have to look into those. I had a great time...and look forward to next year.

Mark

• maggiemd
    16 years ago

I am brand new to this forum -- I live in Southern Maryland. I heard from my brother that there was a group of gardeners who exchange tips and seedlings and also host a tomato tasting in Maryland. I'm guessing I found you guys... is it open to new comers for next year 2008? If not, that's fine, I'm just curious. I had 40 tomato plants, 16 varieties this year, and due to the drought, and my inexperience, I didn't have bushels to give away like I thought. I'd love to talk to other gardeners about what varieties they have grown and how...

• manure_queen
    16 years ago

Maggie, All are welcome to all of our functions. Come to the seed swap in January. It will be in Temple hills
    Mary

• lynnt
    16 years ago

Mark and anyone else interested,
    I brought the ground cherries, and have seeds available if anyone wants to try them out. Send me a note to my home email ltitle2003 at yahoo (not via gardenweb; we all know the troubles getting anything to travel that road) and I'd be happy to send you some -- if I get badly flooded then a SASE might be nice...

Lynn

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH