Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Job's Tears?

Posted by gemini_jim 7a MD (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 9:56

Hi all,

I'm growing this useful grass (Coix lacryma-jobi) for the first time and wondered if anyone has had success overwintering the mature plants in the ground here in the Mid-Atlantic. They are listed as hardy to zone 9a, but reading the palm survival thread here has made me think it's worth a try. I know they are easy to start from seed, but it seems that established plants would grow bigger and flower sooner next season.

I also posed this question on the ornamental grass forum, but no replies so far. Maybe job's tears just aren't ornamental enough!

Thanks,
Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Job's Tears?

I didn't realize that this was a perennial in warm zones. I have a few that are covered with seeds and I thought they'd die once they ripened. Maybe I'll stick them in the greenhouse and see if they make it. I also really like this grass.
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here