Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

Who's coming to MAGTAG?

cecilia_md7a
16 years ago

I realize I haven't been keeping track of how many folks are participating this year, especially since I've also been posting on that other Tomato-oriented site. The third site - The Garden Forums - appears to have disappeared.

So far, these are the folks who have expressed an interest. Please let me know if you are still coming, and whether you will be bringing family or friends:

From GW:

gflynn

tomatoes4ever

janetM

Trudi_d

pumpkinhead1961

From T-ville:

bluekat

Dunkel

Adenn1

spkfero

feralcatfriend

Cecilia

Other:

Chris, Suzy, Maggie & Ed (CeciliaÂs brother and family)

Theresa (CeciliaÂs sister)

Edwin (CeciliaÂs dad, the birthday boy)

Comments (15)

• kimka
    16 years ago

I'm coming. I haven't figured out what I'm goingto make yet. Maybe banana nut bread or brownies.

My tomatoes on the deck went toes up in the last two weeks so I won't have any tomatoes to offer.

KimKa

• lynnt
    16 years ago

Richard and I will be coming (he'll head off in his canoe again, but count him in for at least one BLT!)

My tomatoes are also not doing well, but I'll be bringing ground cherries -- a low-growing tomatillo relative.

Lynn

• wtgxi
    16 years ago

Ben, Rebecca, Maxwell and I will be coming. Rebecca is going to be 4 and Maxwell just turn 1.

Thanks

Wendy

• pumpkinhead1961
    16 years ago

I'll be there. Cecilia, I have a few questions. If you could, please e-mail me sometime before monday. My e-mail is....DrJohn43@hotmail.com.
    Thanks,
    John

• annebert
    16 years ago

I am! I am! Got probably 10 varieties (though I canned 7 quarts of tomatoes and 6 pts of sauce today) to bring. I've been trying to interest friends, but don't think I have any takers this year. Found a Growler under the counter, so I'll bring some microbrew. Not sure whether I'll bring pesto or brownies.

• tomatoes4ever
    16 years ago

I am definately still coming. I've been looking forward to this for forever! I'll probably bring a pie(hint, hint, - it would be nice if someone else brought vanilla ice cream.

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll have any tomatoes to bring. I'm praying for one or two cherokee purple that look like they are starting to ripen. I also have a mutant Roma VFN that I just picked today. I hope it stays fresh till next Saturday, it's funny.

The way the timing is working out for my tomatoes, I just picked a whole bunch a week ago(and had to make sauce today or risk losing them). None of my other tomatoes look even close to being ripe. In fact I'm praying they ripen before the weather turns cold. Does anyone know when the end of the growing season is in Vienna VA?

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tomatoes4ever, my sister-in-law, who lives on the Carroll/Frederick county border in Maryland, is experiencing the same problem as you - she has tons of big beautiful GREEN tomatoes that will probably not be ripe in time for MAGTAG. I'm having the opposite problem - all mine have pretty much either succumbed to blight or the drought.

If your tomatoes don't ripen before the weather turns cold, you can pick them and put them in a paper bag to ripen, or you can pull up the whole vine and hang it upside-down in a dry, dark space (like a shed). I have had tomatoes ripening for Thanksgiving that were almost as tasty as those that ripined on the vine.

• tomatobob_va7
    16 years ago

Cecilia, Claudia and I will be there again this year. She's making her new "Man-Catcher Brownies" (they catch women, too), and I'm making rosemary-scented bread. We'll bring what tomatoes we can, but our plants are on their last legs. I'll see if I have some homebrew to bring, too. Robert

• pumpkinhead1961
    16 years ago

If anybody who's coming has a decent boom box with a CD player, could you arrange to bring it?? If so, I'll burn some music onto CDs to play at MAGTAG. (I'll keep it light and maybe a little humorous...no heavy metal, rap, etc). If you can, please let me know.

My green zebras and Aunt ruby's german green probably won't be ripe in time, but I have an assortment of cherry toms I'll be bringing:
    Jaune Flamme
    Green Grape
    Yellow Cherry (which is more orange than yellow)
    Isis Candy
    Chocolate Cherry
    Yellow and Red Pear (mostly yellow)
    Yellow and Red Currant (again, mostly yellow)

I'm going to make a couple of dishes using fresh tomatoes, but I'll be getting them from the farmer's market (not sure what varieties they are, but they're still very good).

• gflynn
    16 years ago

I will be there with the family early and then they will leave me and go off to see their cousin. My officemate may come because I gave him (and everyone else) plants in the spring and he has been very excited about the results.

I had flush of tomatoes last week but I am wondering what will happen this week. These are ones I should definitely have and some other I may be able to get from friends that are growing my plants.

Mine:
    Black Cherry
    Sungold
    Marylin's Cherry
    Earl's Faux
    Dr. Lyle
    Sophie's Choice
    Kit's Find (maybe)

I may be able to get:
    Orange One
    Vesha
    Taxi

Some that didn't go well this year were:
    Cherokee Green
    Yellow Cookie
    Prue

They must have been affected by salt in the soil due to the fact they they were close to the road.

anyway,

See yall there!
    Greg

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Does anybody have a CD boombox or other CD player they could bring along? John (pumpkinhead1961) has kindly offered to burn a mix of all kinds of music to play at the fest, but we don't have anything to play it on! (I do have a long extension cord, though.)

• gflynn
    16 years ago

I have one I can bring. I actually brought one last year but we really didn't use it.

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

We're bringing down these toms:

Cambells 1327
    Raad Red
    La Rossa
    Tiger Like
    Brown Berry
    Red Currant
    Blondekopfchen

We've got the sharpies and plastic plates, and we're bringing a chocolate rum cake.

T

• Newt
    16 years ago

Hope it's not too late to say my hubby and I would like to attend. We used to go to the plant swaps but haven't attended in quite a while. I read this post this afternoon and ran to the store for the ingredients for a pasta salad, with tomatoes of course, and we'll bring that along. If there is anything else needed we would be happy to bring it along too.

Newt

• gflynn
    16 years ago

Newt,

Please come! This is an open event and all are invited. Let me add some directions if anyone doesn't know how to get there.

Directions to MAGTAG

From anywhere:

I-695 to Exit 9 - Hollins Ferry Road East.

Drive one mille and make a Right on Daisy Avenue

Drive 1/4 mille and make a Right on Annapolis Road

Drive ½ mile and make a Left on Georgia Avenue

park is at end of road

You will see signs directing you were to go butÂ. you will make a left onto the park road to get to the pavilion

Sponsored