Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

MAGTAG Tomato Fest - Non-food items needed

cecilia_md7a
17 years ago

Here is a list of some non-food items and supplies that we will need for MAGTAG on August 26. Any volunteers?

- Disposable Plastic Table Cloths: there are 10 picnic tables in the pavillion, although we don't necessary need to cover all of them

- Plastic or foam plates (paper just doesn't hold up to tomato juice! I have some foam ones, but we could probably use more.

- Plastic ware

-Disposable plastic cups

-Paper towels - a.k.a "Napkins on a Roll" (tomatoes are MESSY when eaten properly)

-Large plastic leaf bags for extra trash

- Grilling utensils (DH has some, but I think there are 2 grills)

I will bring several bags of charcoal, some lighter fluid, and aluminum foil for the grills.

I will also supply the "ballots" for the tomato tasting, and pens/markers for that contest.

Comments (16)

• kimka
    17 years ago

Plastic cups I got covered

KimKa

• janetm_md
    17 years ago

Ceil,
    I'll go on a grocery store run and bring everything on your list except for the grilling utensils:
    Disposable Plastic Table Cloths (10)
    - Plastic or foam plates
    - Plastic ware

-Disposable plastic cups

-Paper towels - a.k.a "Napkins on a Roll"
    -Large plastic leaf bags for extra trash

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

That week-end is starting to look chaotic for me, so I need to commit to bringing something in order to ensure my attendence :) After all, I wouldn't want to be the ONE who didn't show up with some critical thing. I'll hit the dollar store for small plates and utensils and know that I have cups in the basement too. Anything excess can always be stored for the next swap. But Janet, if you haven't gone shopping yet, you can reduce the volume of your purchases.

• gflynn
    17 years ago

Folks,

I always bring a little of everything since I keep camping supplies at all times in several "Action Packers" that are ideal for transporting and staying dry. I assume I am playing backup so don't reduce your contributions based on what I am bringing. My hope is to ensure that no matter what happens (death ect.) we have all we need.

Anyway I will have as backup (meaning that it will be used only if needed; but I assume that some will be needed):

2 plastic table cloths (you need ten)
    100 plastic 16 oz cups.
    6 rolls of paper towels (these are gold)
    1 partial roll of aluminum foil
    1 partial roll of plastic wrap
    Pamper Chef grilling utensils.
    One extra grill that will only be lit if needed.
    One bag of charcoal.
    One container of lighter fluid.
    1 Lighter.
    50 plastic forks, knives and spoons.
    100 disposable plates.
    Cheap Metal knives for tomato cutting.
    A scale that measures fractions of an ounce up to 7lbs.
    2 coolers full of MAGTAG Brew.
    Toilet paper (the restrooms may run out)
    One water cooler with ice
    A makeshift ballot box.

And many other things.....

Greg

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Since the stuff on the list seems to be pretty well covered.... how about if I bring a couple bags of ice for drinks. Well, mavbe that is in the food category but I'll bring it anyway.
    BB

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Beth - I guess if we need ice, we also need coolers!

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, Greg - Do you think we might get any tomatoes that weigh more than 7 lbs? :)

I'll also bring a calculator for tallying the votes for tastiest variety.

• gflynn
    17 years ago

Cecilia,

Where is Chickenman when you need him. He would say, "Only I grow tomatoes that big! Ha ha ha! and I am not comming to your stinking MAGTAG!.... by the way where is my disguise and map of B-more?"

Anyway,

Gordon Graham holds the Guinness World Records title for the heaviest (Delicious variety) tomatoÂa 7-pound 12-ounce whopper grown back in 1986.

Indeed if we do get a record setter it will be a sad day if we can't weigh the darn thing, but since I have never had a tomato that reaches 2 lbs (don't laugh) I would'nt guess were likely to see one of those.

Greg

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Anything special I can bring? Other than my 2 measly bottles of tomato wine?

Is chickenman gonna be there?

:)

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, peggy, one thing we know about the mysterious chickenman is that he lives in Maryland, so who knows, maybe he'll show up. Think we'll recognize him?

• gflynn
    17 years ago

Cecilia,

He will be the guy bringing the Delicious tomatoes.

Peggy,

Save me some of that Tomato Wine ;-)

Greg

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention that I will provide a reference copy of the tomato grower's field guide, 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for American Gardens, by Carolyn Male. That way, we can compare our maters to her descriptions!

It will probably be HOT on Saturday - any extra bottles of water will probably be welcome!

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

I regret that I probably won't make the meet. I may have some relatives visiting at almost the same time as the mater fest. The thing is, I won't know till Friday night. I might be there, or not. My relatives tend to be inconsiderate that way, but they're family...what can you do:)

We'll see.

• gflynn
    17 years ago

Peggy,

Very sorry to hear that! Now I don't get to try your tomato wine. On the other hand, you could bring them and tell them that it was a party just for them ;-)

Greg

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Hi Greg, I'm seriously stressing over this. Problem is they won't be here till early afternoon and there's a big cook-out planned for the early part of PM. I'm working on it. I may just show up at the impromtu family reunion late. Or not...I guess I should mention that the "inconsiderate" relative is my son. AAAAHHH..and he doesn't even like tomatoes!! He can't be my kid!!

• gflynn
    17 years ago

Peggy,

Don't stress, just ditch them and come to MAGTAG ;-)

Seriously, don't do anything to ruin your day; enjoy the it the weather is supposed to be beautiful. Remember, if things go really wrong just find that happy place. Say to yourself, "I am in the garden and there are no relatives. I am in the garden and there are no relatives".....

As a word of advice, you need to start kids early on tomatoes. I take my eldest daughter (6 years old) out into the yard and she identifies the tomatoes for me. I can't believe that she will ever not like them :-)

Greg

Sponsored