{{gwi:1051156}}

{{gwi:1051157}}

Comments (21)

• graywings123
    15 years ago

My guess is that it is a fox.

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

I'd say coyote pup - A fox that size would be an adult, and the tail isn't fluffy so not a fox. I googled some pics of coyote pups and their juvenile tails do look skinny like the one in your photo.

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

Definitely coyote, in my have-seen-foxes-have-not-seen-coyotes opinion :-).

• patapscomike
    15 years ago

It is a red fox. Coyotes do not have white on the tip of their tails, red foxes do.

• valentinetbear
    15 years ago

Red fox aren't that tall, and that's the scrawniest tail I've ever seen. The face does look foxish though. Do you think short fox and lanky coyote would mate?!

• billinpa
    15 years ago

Coyotes and foxes dont mate. They are enemies. The coyote would eat a fox if given the chance to catch it. Possibly a fox with mange. I think it look taller because of the lack of fur. More then likely it will not survive winter.

I would email that pic to MD DNR.

What time of the morning was that pic taken?

It really does look like a sick fox. It really should be investigated by DNR and possibly removed. Im sure you dont want your pets or kids in danger. Let the biologists decide.

Its chupacabra lol

• daisybritt
    15 years ago

Lived in AZ for 6 years it looks like a coyote, also they are brazen like this one, a fox would have taken off.

• patapscomike
    15 years ago

FWIW I'm a biologist and I work for MD DNR... We don't remove animals just because they have a touch of mange. It's very common, and I would not be particularly worried about it. I took a similar picture of a red fox at my pond 8 years ago in February. It was so mangy it had almost no fur at all except on it's tail.

• morganwardztas
    15 years ago

looks great to see.

GAYATHRI

Social Media Marketing

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pix were taken ~10am. So Mike, are you agreeing that it is a fox or as a biologist for MD DNR, do you think it is a coyote. And should I notify anyone. I haven't seen her since Sunday.

Jen

• billinpa
    15 years ago

COOL MIKE Now I know who to email about questions .... lol Im just kidding. Well kind of. If it was reported as a nuiscience animal then it would be removed?? correct? Hint! Hint! Wink! Wink!

Mange is caused my mites which is very easily transferred from animal to animal.

A fox out at 10am triggers problems in my book. They should be well asleep for the day by then. Same with a yote. That sends up a red light that something isnt right with that animal. It looks so lanky do to the lack of fur.

Id bet me next pay check on it being a fox.

The farm I hunt on had a bad problem with mange last year in squirrels. Half of the ones taken had less then half their hair. Saw a fox pretty bad off 2. But also took several normal foxes off that farm per the farmers request.

Way to small to be a yote. even a pup. Totally different looking in the face.

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is one more picture that is a good profile.

Jen

{{gwi:1051158}}

• LynneinMD
    15 years ago

I'm not any sort of an expert but I'd vote for fox on this one, based on the head/ears shape/proportion.

If this was a young fox, 10am might not be too unreasonable. Foxes gotta get a clue (and breakfast) too..

You might call DNR or the Parks/Rec folks or the Extension office (if they have such a thing here) to see if there have been other sightings. If they have, you can find out whether you need to be concerned about the critter being ill/scary.

But HOW COOL to see that in the yard! I saw one about 1/2 mile from the house one early evening, very surprising to me but not totally unexpected since we have several woodsy areas nearby, along with the race track/training area.

Lynne in Bowie

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to compare pics of local coyote and fox

• jakejones
    15 years ago

There is a rare species called "Red Wolf." I saw it in a DK book on Animals of North America. I don't have the book, now, but it looked close.

• patapscomike
    15 years ago

As stated in my last post, it's a red fox. Red foxes are not nocturnal, and it's not at all unusual to see them out and about during the day. DNR would not do anything if you report this. It is a very common animal with a common skin problem doing normal things. It is nothing to be concerned about.

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Mike!! I have to have a direct statement. :-) Just too dense to infer meaning. Thanks again!

Jen

• leslies
    15 years ago

A fox out at 10am triggers problems in my book.

Well, there's no real reason for that. Fox are commonly seen out and about both during the day and at night. Get on your pony and take a walk in the country - you'll see all kinds of great stuff!

• fritz_monroe
    15 years ago

I'll agree with the expert. I would vote fox with mange. As for seeing it in the daytime, no biggie. I see very healthy foxes near my house all times of the day and night.

As for removing it, you could contact animal control and they will lend you a live trap and come pick it up when it is caught. We had 6 feral cats hanging around the neighborhood killing the birds. I set the traps and animal control took them all away. Set it in the evening. Check it first thing in the morning. If you call before 10, they will have it picked up that day, after that time, it could end up being the next day.

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't want to remove the fox. She can stay as long as she likes. I don't have kids or dogs and my cats are NOT allowed outside. so no harm, no foul. I'm happy to offer a safe place to get a drink and spend the day. :-)

Even without its fur, I love all fuzzies.

Jen

• scausey
    15 years ago

Regarding the use of the safe traps -- don't try it yourself. We have a large Hav-A-Hart trap that I used when my chickens were being ravaged by a racoon. I caught it and then call the animal shelter, and they let me know that it's illegal to trap critters without a permit. Whoops -- letting it out of the cage in a remote location was pretty scary! I see foxes out and about day and night in our rural neck of the woods (Damascus, MD). They have a place in the ecosystem, so I hope to continue seeing them, but not with a chicken in its mouth like I saw taking away the last of my chooks (but that's my fault). No more chickens (i.e., wildlife food) here until the coop gets rehabbed...
    Susan

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

We have a local fox in our neighborhood that makes numerous daytime 'missions's behind our house. It usually hugs close to fencelines and hedges, but is clearly healthy and is just about its business of terrorizing birds, chipmunks, etc.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner