Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning glories

Posted by weddingdance z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 10:29

Something is slicing through my morning glories about 5" up from the ground, leaving the vines hanging on their string to die. It only happens on one side of my deck. I sprayed for moles there, because it's been happening since Spring. The morning glories get about 3' tall, and it looks like a clean slice through the stem. The first time, the plants were gone, so I thought it was some kind of critter. Now I'm thinking it's some kind of cut worm, because the plants are still in the ground, and the vines are still dying on the twine = nothing's been eaten. What do you make of this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning glories

Well I assumed it was a bunny that had lopped off a clematis close to the ground leaving the vines neatly on the arch to wilt and die. Now you have me wondering if I'm right or wrong. Anyway, I wanted to mention that with the morning glories, they will reroot if you just put a tall bottle of water underneath the cut end of the vine. It will root and stay alive and continue to bloom. Check the bottle once a day for water as it may be supporting a 10 foot vine. When the roots are significant, just plant that end - you may have to mound the soil a bit to cover the new roots. Learned this 15 years ago when I lived in an association and there were maintenance people on the loose with string trimmers :)

o
RE: Morning glories

Oh, I didn't know that! I wish I had checked this forum out, perhaps I could have saved them. But now they're all dead on the vine. I'll know it for next time, thanks!

Lee Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here