Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boysenberry

Posted by weddingdance z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 05 at 10:31

I just had my first taste of boysenberry syrup, and I love it! Where can I get a boysenberry bush? I looked online, and got confused. Is there really such a thing as a boysenberry? Or is it a term for a blackberry/raspberry combination recipe?

Thanks,

Yankee Lee Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boysenberry

I've grown boysenberries in DC for several years; they are one of many rubus (blackberries, raspberrries, etc.) hybrids. every berry I've harvested (not many; they don't seem well adapted here) has been mouthpuckeringly sour, no matter how ripe. perhaps loading them up with syrup would help! I throw mulch over the canes in winter, as I suspect they're marginally hardy in zone 7.

o

If you are interested in berries or other edible plants, but don't have much experience growing them, I recommend that you start by looking at Edible Landscaping of Afton, Virginia (near Charlottesville). They specialize in edible plants that are well-suited for the Mid-Atlantic climate. Also, they provide potted plants, not just bare-root like some other edible plant nurseries. They don't carry any boysenberries, but in Rubus (blackberries, raspberries, and other brambles) they do carry: thornless and thorny blackberry, "wyeberry", red and black raspberry.

(Only please don't order the wineberry, it's very invasive and I can assure you we have enough already, also the stems are nastier to touch than any other Rubus.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Landscaping

o

got mine from Burnt Ridge nursery online. I searched and they have great ratings (on Gardenwatchdog) and low prices. My whole order was excellent and the only thing that will prevent me from ordering from them year after year will be lack of space for planting..

No, I have no affiliation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnt Ridge Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here