Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gflynn_gw

MAGTAG Whose Bringing What?

gflynn
13 years ago

Hi All,

I am trying to remember all the things that must be brought and coming up with a list.

Of the non-food Items I can bring:

1. Table Coverings (with duct tape to hold them down)

2. Red Plastic Cups (for pennies)

3. Paper plates (for tomato display and tasting)

4. Some Paper Towels (we may need more)

5. Some Permanent markers (we will definitley need more)

6. Cheap old metal Knives for tomato cutting during the tasting

7. Coin Envelopes for Seed traders. (perhaps we should have a seed giving/trading station?)

8. Awards courtesy of my kids. (best tasting and biggest).

9. Tip Jar

Other things we will need include:

1. Trash bags.

2. Charcole

3. Lighter Fluid

4. Grilling utencils

5. Extra Toliet paper incase the facilities are out!

6. Ziploc Plastic bags for taking home seeds.

7. Sign explaining the penny system of voting (Cecila, do you still have the old one?)

Please contribute your ideas:

Cecilia,

Since your husband will be grilling will he require any meat from me or is he set on bringing his own stuff? Does he need help with Charcole lighter fluid ect?

Food Items I will bring:

1. Bottled Water

2. Juice Boxes (for kids)

3. MAGTAG Brew

4. Side Dish courtesy of Luanne (Dear Wife)

5. Hot dogs for kids ect. (Cecilia, what is you husband planning?)

6. Birthday cake coutesy of my mom for Luanne and Cecilia's dad.

Other Food Items we will need:

1. Hot dog and hamburger rolls?

2. ???

Ideas?

Greg

Comments (14)

• oscarthecat
    13 years ago

I have a lot of styrofoam plates and plastic knives, spoons and forks. Steve S.

• cecilia_md7a
    13 years ago

I'm back from the basement where I just conducted an inventory of last year's MAGTAG supplies. While I was down there, I noticed that the area around the sump pump was flooding. Fortunately, all the MAGTAG stuff was in a plastic container. Dave discovered that the water was coming into the basement because the downspout outside had come loose. Thank goodness it wasn't anything serious.

Anyway, we're in pretty good shape as far as leftover supplies are concerned. Here is a list of what I found:

- Enough plastic cutlery for 3 MAGTAGS
    - More napkins than you can shake a stick at (if that's your idea of a good time, as Grouncho said)
    - 4 boxes of heavy-duty foil: 2 wide, 2 regular
    - @ 20 reusable red plastic dinner plates
    - @ 100 white Chinet plates
    - Salt & pepper shakers
    - Plastic bottle for olive oil
    - 12-15 cheap steak knives, plus a large knife and large fork
    - @ 35 plastic wine cups
    - a dozen or so ballpoint pens
    - @15 Sharpie markers
    - Raid bug spray
    - insect repellant
    - Hand sanitizer
    - Sunblock

Greg, I think I still have the penny system instructions from last year. If not, I'll recreate them.

I talked with Janet M (whose husband Greg M usually volunteers to grill with my husband) and she says they will bring hot dogs and hamburgers. So if you're a vegetarian or vegan, please bring some soyburgers if you would like them (of course, we alwaysl have plenty of veggie dishes at MAGTAG!)

So, as far as I can tell, we still need:

- More Paper Towels
    - Coin Envelopes for Seed traders
    - Trash bags (or is Hank providing this?)
    - Charcoal
    - Lighter Fluid
    - Grilling utensils (This was a big deal last year because I forgot ours!)
    - Sausage (great idea! Actually, if you have anything that you want to grill, just bring it!)
    - Did anybody mention duct tape and/or packing tape?

I plan on arriving before 9:00 and will have boring old bleached blonde hair again.

• cecilia_md7a
    13 years ago

If anybody has any extra tomatoes (i.e. ones that aren't pretty or are bruised or something), I could use them for my BLT bar!

• pumpkinhead1961
    13 years ago

For non-food items, I can bring trash bags (the heavy duty variety), blue plastic cups (so we can use the blue cups for the 'vote penny' supply and the red cups for voting), and I'm bringing a real, honest-to-goodness toaster for the BLT bar.
    My brother Joe can bring charcoal lighter fluid and grilling utensils.
    If someone can bring a CD player, I can bring music.

• hankg_gw
    13 years ago

I can bring a pickup load of tomatoes if needed. Please ask.
    Hank

• hankg_gw
    13 years ago

No need to ask, I'll bring red, pink, yellow, and purple.
    Hank

• gflynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hank,

With that many tomatoes you are bound to have a big one. My bigest on the "Tomato Table" is 1lbs 9ozs. Someone must beat that one!

Let me add Coin envelopes to my list of things I'll be bring'n

Also, grilling utencils. Someone else claimed Charcole and lighter fluid on the other site.

Greg

• winnie850
    13 years ago

I'll bring a side dish or dessert. Did I see that this is from 9 am to 4 pm? Is there a scheduled "judging time?"

gladys

• mirka_g
    13 years ago

GOBS
    mary

• busyasabee
    13 years ago

Chicken for the grill, pita bread & either babaganoush or taboulah salad.

Jette

• hankg_gw
    13 years ago

Greg,

I only have a small pickup, so the biggest ones have to stay here. Actually,the biggest ones have been a couple of Dr Wyche's at 2 lbs. Because of the new unlimited water supply from the sky, splitting is a problem. I'm running out of band-aids.
    Hank

• gflynn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hank,

I sympithize. I have gotten many a split tomato over the past few days. I will present the pretty ones and cut up the split ones!

Also, I often hear about 3lbs tomatoes but I don't thing I have ever grown or seen one. One day!

Greg

• cecilia_md7a
    13 years ago

A few last minute comments:

I just finished cooking the bacon for the BLT bar (nice and crispy for Luanne); still need to wash and tear the lettuce.

The bad news is, I have no tomatoes of my own worth bringing. Nada. Zilch. Bupkis. The good news is, my co-worker Jennifer gave me a bunch of Better Boys or some other kind of hybrid she grew from plants for my BLT bar. She also grew a plum type, which I am calling "Jennifer's Mystery Roma" since she can't remember which variety it is.

I went to Office Depot today and bought some marked-down name tags (since we forgot about them), and some raffle tickets!

BTW, I've added another book to the raffle - William Alexander's "The $64 Tomato." Too bad we don't have a copy of Carolyn Male's "bible" to raffle off - for now I'll call it "The incomplete tomato library." $1 a chance for the aforementioned book, Amy Goldman's "Heirloom Tomato," and Tim Stark's "Heirloom." All proceeds will go to Trudi's Wintersown.org educational charity. (Trudy, are you there?)

I'm heading over to that other tomato site now to post an identical message - see you all tomorrow!

• annebert
    13 years ago

I've got one spatula and I think one large fork for grilling. Will bring guacamole and chips and brownie bites.
    Thank heaven for Costco - I have a lot to do in the garden.

Probably have 3 varieties of tomatoes to bring.

Sponsored