Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

MAGTAG 2008 - A Resounding Success!

cecilia_md7a
15 years ago

I have to say that I had a wonderful time at yesterday's event. For once, the weather cooperated, although every now an then it had to remind us who was boss by blowing plates off the tables.

First, this year's Top Ten:

1) Black Cherry, grown by Greg F.

2) Cherokee Green, grown by Greg F.

3) White Currant, grown by Greg F.

4) Emily, grown by Greg F.

5) Sungold, grown by Greg F.

6) Cherokee Purple, grown by Greg F.

7) Box Car Willie, grown by B. H. (please identify yourself!)

8) Super Snow White, grown by Mary (Manure Queen)

9) Momentado, grown by Mary (Manure Queen)

10) Kosovo, grown by Greg F.

Notice a pattern here? Greg even won for Largest Tomato - his monster-size Emily weighed in at 31.7 oz.

Now, I couldn't for the life of me taste any difference between Greg's Sungolds and Black Cherries and my own. Since Greg devised this year's rating system, I believe it was rigged!

Actually, the penny system of rating was MUCH easier than anything we've tried so far. No calculating necessary. I suggest we try it again next year.

Some random notes, in no particular order:

The prize for the person who came the longest distance goes to Ann (Honu), who came all the way from Hawaii! Of course, she flew to D.C. on business and stopped by, but still, that's a long way. She treated us all to chocolate-covered macadamia nuts. I rewarded her with a container of Old Bay seasoning, the signature spice mix of Baltimore.

The longest actual drive was probably by Donna Marie and her friend Liz, who came down from NJ. Liz, I hope you don't mind me mentioning that your photos of the fest are up on Webshots. To view them, follow the lin at the bottom of the page. When the link opens up, go to page 2 at bottom for link to pics and video!

Rob Kasper, food writer for the Baltimore Sun and tomato fanatic, came for a visit, although he didn't bring any of the Prudens Purples he bragged about to me by email. Probably ate 'em all. His critic's choice was Kellogg's Breakfast, grown (of course) by the Michael Phelps of MAGTAG, Greg F.

Speaking of local newspapers, Lynn T. made the recipe that won the Washington Post's Top Tomato Recipe Contest for 2008, 'Mato Sammidges, by Mary Joe Sweeney of Crownsville, MD. Although the recipe called for ripe tomatoes, Lynn also used unripe ones, and they were equally delicious.

Lynn also had the smarts to take all the leftover cut-up tomatoes and leftover bacon from the BLT bar to cook up into a sauce. I'll bet her kitchen smelled great last night!

Those of us who stayed late also got to take home leftover tomatoes, of which there were plenty - mainly because Kim (Bluekat) left behind a bumper crop. Thanks so much, Kim!

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but as much as I hate to mention Greg F. again, folks had good things to say about his homebrew. My brother Joe, who actually lived in Belgium, really enjoyed Greg's Belgian ale.

Thanks to everybody who helped out - especially our Grillmeisters, my DH Dave Wright and Greg Menke.

See you all next year for MAGTAG 2009!

Here is a link that might be useful: Liz's MAGTAG photos

Comments (16)

• mirka_g
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Odd tomato
    brownish that was w/ your black cherries- What was it supposed to be
    Mary

• gardnwatch
    15 years ago

I grew the Box Car Willie -
    BH- Bonnie Harper - gardnwatch

I had a great time at my first tomato festival.
    Good food, good fun and great weather.
    Thanks, Cecilia

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

Cecilia, there had better be a MAGTAG 2009, is all I'm saying. The Alfies AND the Alfies' friends, who were going to come but then visited us instead when we couldn't come, were all very bummed at missing MAGTAG 2008.

(I'm surprised to see two white tomatoes in the top ten list. I'm growing my 85-year-old neighbor's Della Whites (his name for them), and while their being local heirlooms is in their favor, their being entirely lacking in taste is not. They're not so bad dried, though.)

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for speaking up, Bonnie! I'm glad you and Mary gave Greg at least a little bit of competition.

Mary, the oddball tomato that you found in my black cherries was supposed to be a Cherokee Chocolate from Tomato Growers' Supply. Several people on T0mat0ville.c0m have said that they got similar non-Cherokee Chocolate plants from TGS, so I guess their seed was crossed. One person who grew it found it bland, but I rather like it. I'm debating saving seeds. Do you want some? Maybe we could dehybridize it and call it "Cherokee Chocolate Chip."

• hankg_gw
    15 years ago

Cheryll and I had a wonderful time. I'm sure we'll all have get togethers soon when we are asked to give our rendition of the national anthem at sporting events. That was over the top. hee hee Hank (Sponge Bob shirt)

• mirka_g
    15 years ago

Cecilia, HAve not tried it yet, but when I do, I plan to save seeds
    Mary

• winnie850
    15 years ago

Cecelia,
    Thank you for all that you did to put this together. It was fun. Great to put a name to the online presence of so many people. It was my first time at this event and I enjoyed sampling so many of the tomatoes I have wanted to try. Some that sounded so wonderful in the seed catalogs were just ok while others were even better than their descriptions. It was wonderful to learn that there are so many other people who are crazy for tomatoes like I am.
    Thanks!
    Gladys

• kimka
    15 years ago

Sounds like a great time was had. Sorry I was kept away by other pressing issues.

• gflynn
    15 years ago

Tomato Folk,

Thanks much to Cecilia for all her hard work and for bringing all her kin; I had no idea she was one of 7. Cecilia's had folks sign in and she said we had 42 people. That beat's last years count which was 36 people attending. It made it fun to have so many folks from so many places. (HI, NJ, PA, VA and MD).

The number of tomato varieties was down to somewhere around 50 varieties which was partly because we started a week earlier while the tomatoes started a week later. NO ONE TALKED TO THE TOMATOES! They were all in the dressing room discussing this before the show. How rude they said ;-)

Also we were missing Trudi who contributes so many and Dunkel (Doug) from WV, who was with us 2 years ago and grew about 60 plants of many different WV varieties but didn't like to eat them. (huh?)

I counted the empty beer bottles from my homebrew that I was "recycling" last night and 29 were empty. That's impressive! I didn't know that folks would care much except for the novelty of the idea.

As far as how the competition went, I was hoping to test the quality of the "Emily" tomato in this competition and as you can see from Cecilia's results "Emily" came in 4th place. Don't let this fool you because it was the highest ranking Large Pink beefsteak among the winners.

Over the past 3 years we have always found that cherries have come in way ahead. This suprised some folks that are part of other gatherings. Perhaps it is a Maryland weather or soil issue? Perhaps, statistically 3 years is too small of a sample? Black Cherry and Sungold are always up top and other cherries are in the top ten that include Dr. Carolyn Pink and White Current.

This puts "Emily" on top of a whole class of tomatoes that includes, red and pink, large hearts and beefsteaks. Of course this only one competition and I doubt that it will be repeated next year. If it does and this tomato continues to produce with the same size and vigor, I would say that this a variety worth keeping. I have been debating this question since it seems like "Just another" large pink beefsteak to add to so many others that are already so good. Hopefully it will stand the test of time.

The parents of this variety are Prue and Marianna' Peace. These are good parents. On that note, one of the winners from last year that was also a cross from similar parents but the F3s segregated so much this year that it was not the same at all from last year. Too bad really but some of those lines still seem interesting and there's always next year :-)

The "Penny" method of judging has one distinct weakness. That is that it favors early entries in popular locations. We could dampen these effects by having enterants interlace their entries with other competetors on other tables.

I may add that there was general agreement from the regulars that his was the most fun we had at a MAGTAG event so far. It seems that many thing were in our favor this year. The weather was perfect.

Hope to see you all next year.

Greg

• honu
    15 years ago

Cecilia, Thanks for all your hard work putting this event together and for the directions and helpful emails!

Greg, Your Black Cherry and White Currant blew me away! Can't wait to swap seeds.

To all the lovely folks I met at MAGTAG,
    Thank you so much for making me feel so welcome and sharing your wonderful tomatoes and friendship! I had a wonderful time and wished I had more time to talk to everyone.
    Aloha from almost 5,000 miles away in Zone 11,
    Ann

• mirka_g
    15 years ago

Perhaps there should be a set time for the start and end of tasting rather than straggled as gardeners show up. Perhaps 11-12 or 12-1
    What ever works best for the organizers
    Mary

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Please check out my new thread entitled "Photos of MAGTAG 2008." Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of MAGTAG 2008

• annebert
    15 years ago

Thanks for all who worked hard to put it together. I was too tired this year to contribute much (I had to fit MAGTAG into the 36 hour window I had at home between assorted business trips)but it was fun as always.

I have some ideas about how to keep Greg from rigging the voting next year :-)

Lynn T and I will be growing Emily next year - I hope we'll have a report and some to taste...

• gflynn
    15 years ago

Lynn T and Ann,

I am complemented by your desire to grow this plant but....

Realize that the seeds are F4 meaning that they may not be stable. The Plant that produced the largest tomato, comes from Emily "B" and I believe all of the tomatoes I brought to the competition were from either Emily "B" or Emily "C". I also have an Emily "A". At this point they all seem the same.

My concern is that we may produce multiple strains of the same variety, some that are good and some that are not. If that happens then I will have lost control of what is called "Emily". It could end up being confusing and give the varity a bad reputation.

Please be mindful of this and only take seeds from me or from the largest tomato that I gave to Lynn that we know is Emily "B". This is my favorite of the 3 plants so far.

Next year we can compare them and select seeds from the best ones for next years trials. Also make sure to start lots of the plants and notice the leaf type. If it varies widely this shows considerable instability. The leaf type should be a droopy Potato Leaf. Please select only ones that have this characteristic if you want to continue to call it "Emily".

thanks,
    Your tomato bud,

Greg

• gflynn
    15 years ago

Tomato Folks,

Let me add to my last post that I am happy to send folks seed for Emily. Of the three F3 plants I grew I named them Emily A, B and C. "A" died early of disease but still produced. I am afraid to distribute this one for fear of spreading disease.

I am happy to send folks seed for Emily B or C, however, I ask that folks either participate in the trial of these seeds at MAGTAG or be willing to accept the seeds we find produced the best version of Emily at our trials if they want to maintain the name "Emily".

If you don't want to do either then please don't refer to these as "Emily" because it may not be the same and we don't want two different tomatoes that goes by the same name.

I choose the name after my daughter so her reputation is at stake! :-)

Greg

• diana_lynn
    15 years ago

VERY sorry I missed it. Sounds like it was fantastic! Will definitely come next year. I'm sure to learn a lot from you hard-core tomato people.

And it's nice to hear about Dunkel of WV, who grows matos but won't eat them. My partner's the same way!

Diana Lynn