Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

MAGTAG thanks

beth_b_kodiak
17 years ago

I really enjoyed tha day and wanted to say THANKS to all who helped to make it possible. Did I hear talk about a repeat next year?

Great food, deliccious 'Maters and fine folks. What more could you want?

It was an extra special treat to finally get to meet Trudi. She is one super Gal and her hubby is pretty special too.

Thanks also, to the gals who tipped me off about Homestead Growers. I managed to get two more begonias from the Great American Cities collection and an adorable oxalis of a type I never saw before. It tooks like a wee small miaiature of a Thunder Cloud Plum tree. No ID on it except "oxalis"

Definately worth the stop and MAGTAG was worth the trip across the bridge.

Comments (8)

• annebert
    17 years ago

Yes it was great. Thanks to all who contributed seeds or chunks of tomatoes to extract seeds. I will think of you next summer when I'm packing up my tomatoes to bring to next year's MAGTAG!

Thanks Cecelia and Greg for all the organization, and attracting the exotic guests from far away places like New Jersey and Long Island!

• kimka
    17 years ago

I'll add my thanks to Ceclia and Greg and the others who helped organize MaGTAG. What fun. And I loved being able to taste all the different varieties of tomatoes.

• oogy4plants
    17 years ago

Loved it!
    Thanks for organizing a great MAGTAG #1!
    Meeting Trudi and husband and all the Mater folks was a lot of fun and will hopefully improve my tomato growing next year. A sunnier yard wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks!

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Big thanks to Cecilia and Greg and everyone else who contributed to a terrific event! The variety of tomatoes for sampling was simply amazing. Special thanks to Cecilia's husband Dave who cooked my hot dog well burnt to order :-) I really do hope that this becomes an annual festival.

• donnamarienj
    17 years ago

It was so nice to meet everyone! I arrived very late, but hopefully will be super early next year.

I have a request for a recipe if possible: I don't know who made it, but I loved the spiral pasta, tuna and green olive salad. Whoever made it, would you be willing to share the recipe? I loved it!

Thanks to everyone involved in MAGTAG! I had agreat time.

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

My home internet connection has been down for a while (@!?# Comcast!), so I couldn't post until now. I'm back at work - I took Monday off to recover and get some housecleaning done. I could tell that MAGTAG 2006 was a big success because of all the people who mentioned "next year" in their conversations with me!

I had also taken a vacation day Friday, and spent most of that afternoon microwaving bacon for the BLT bar. I cooked up five pounds of the stuff! The house smelled great that evening.

I was all wound up on Saturday night and couldn't sleep. Thinking that it would work better than counting sheep, I started counting all the people that I remember seeing at MAGTAG, and came up with 34. There may have been more than that; since I was running around playing hostess with the mostest, I might not have seen some folks.

I remember somebody - Trudi? Anne? - saying that they had counted 82 different tomato varieties.

Does anybody remember the top ten tomatoes in the tasting? I think somebody threw out the list when we cleaned up after the fest. Maybe I should email my nephew Ed - he might remember them since he announced the winners! I do recall that there were several cherry tomato varieties in the top ten - Black Cherry (the winner), Sungold, and either Matts' Wild Cherry or Red Currant, I can't remember which.

My new personal favorites were Olena Ukrainian and Cherokee Green. The only one I considered a "spitter" was Black from Tula - a disappointment, since I love most black tomatoes.

Anyway, a hearty thank-you to Greg F. for helping organize this thing. I also want to thank the other folks who helped to set up (my sister Theresa and Janet M), and those who helped clean up (brother Chris, SIL Suzy, and Ed & Maggie); DH Dave and Greg M, the grillmeisters; Trudi and Anne for their demos; Joe, for his statistical expertise - Suzy and I never would have calculated the winners accurately without him; and everybody who brought tomatoes and other food! Did I forget anybody?

• drzoidberg
    16 years ago

Yes, thank you Celia and everyone else who put this together. Little Lucky's will be in my garden next year!And, whoever brought the homebrew beer... it was great.

• adenn1
    16 years ago

Yes, thanks to all those who made this a wonderful event...I should have gotten there sooner...next time I will not take the hotel shuttle to the light rail...that took too much time.

Sponsored