Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drought, or something else?

Posted by hairmetal4ever Z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 07 at 12:58

Lots of oaks seem to be covered in brown leaves in my area (Howard County, MD) and I'm not sure if it's drought, or oak wilt or something?

Other trees have lost leaves too, some maples, and when I was at Dulles Airport last weekend, I saw some Callery Pears IN FULL BLOOM! The only thing I can think of is that they defoliated and then got watered either by rain or a late-arriving irrigation crew. Will those survive the winter, or will they be so thrown off they don't survive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drought, or something else?

I'm in Ho Co too. It's the drought. Trees will cast off a lot of their leaves in response to drought, starting with the shade leaves on the inside and bottom of the tree. But unless they are newly planted, they will be fine. There is no drought that would kill a healthy oak tree.

o
RE: drought, or something else?

• Posted by rian 7va (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 8:59

It is probably just the extra dry July and early August. But my neighbor lost a huge, formerly healthy oak tree.

There is a disease called sudden oak death that may have come to the east coast from California recently with nursery grown rhododendrons acting as carriers. Though, after some research we decided that what was killing her oak was a disease called oak decline which has been in this area since before 1900. Drought makes trees more susceptible.

An internet search should turn up pictures and lists of symptoms of both diseases. All the effort and money she spent trying to save it came to nothing and it had to be taken down because of safety issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here