Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weddingdance

svb sobs

weddingdance
16 years ago

Well, I think I attracted SVBs to my garden, and just had to throw out two 10' long vines, I'm so mad!

I let some oregano flower, which attracted the large black wasp that eats crickets. I noticed some other wasps and lots of bees on the oregano flowers as well, so I thought it was a good thing. One wasp has a needle-like waist, and an orange stripe on it's back bulb. Is that the SVB?

I'm so mad...

Comments (7)

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

What is an SVB?
    C.

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

Sivilwar veteran bubala. Steve in Baltimore County

• alfie_md6
    16 years ago

Squash vine borers are the larvae of a moth, not a wasp.

Plus, also, if you plant hollow-stem squash around here, you will get squash vine borers, no matter what you do or don't do.

• weddingdance
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Alfie. I feel a little better knowing I did all I could. I even waited and started another batch of squashes after 4th of July, like I'd read, but I guess the moth was late laying her eggs?

I found a picture of the SVB moth, and it doesn't look anything like the wasp I was talking about, so at least I didn't bring the scourge upon myself.

I'll go start some more squashes; maybe they'll produce before the frost, fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone,

weddingdance

• sandra_christie
    16 years ago

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Another chance to gripe and moan about the SVB - woo hoo!
    Hate 'em, can't understand why there's not a whole forum for disgruntled SVB victims. Scourge is a pretty good way to describe these beasts. They got two generations of crookneck squash in my garden this year, and now they are into my acorn squash. I'm intrigued to see alfie's post about hollow-stem squash. I thought they all were hollow. A week ago, when temps. dropped below 90 for about two mminutes and I ventured outside, I found a squash seed that my 2 year old must have dropped had germinated in a crack in my garden path, it's got flowers and it might be the only one that actually survives. I read that if you go out at night with a flashlight and shine it through the vine the silhouette of the SVB will be visible. You can stab them with a pin or needle. Sounds like fun!!

• alfie_md6
    16 years ago

Zucchetta rampicante aka Tromboncino is a not-hollow-stem summer squash, which means it's a Cucurbita moschata, I believe. Most summer squashes are Cucurbita pepo. "Rampicante" means "climbing", not "rampant", despite what you might think after growing it. The one year I tried it, neither Mr. Alfie nor I liked the taste, unfortunately, but it sure was productive, and no squash vine borers.

(At the recommendation of Mary in southern MD, I now grow Costata Romanesca, which is not only resistant to squash vine borers, but is so productive that when the squash vine borers finally do kill the plants, I'm grateful :-). (I'm grateful to Mary for the suggestion, too.))

• sandra_christie
    16 years ago

Alfie
    Simply amazing information! I'm excited to try this next year. Hmmm, I'll have to start looking around for something else to grumble about though!!
    Thanks for Sharing,
    Sandra

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting