Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping with Sycamore trees

Posted by williampenn 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 07 at 14:30

I have a small area in from of my house (probably 10ft by 20ft) that seperates my house from the sidewalk. It's an older street and there are five very large Sycamore trees between the sidewalk and street that dump bushels of leaves and sticks all summer long. Thus, any planting we do are constantly raked up and dried out from all the leaves. Those trees are dirty!

Most of our neighboors just have large shubbery in their similar sized areas, but we'd like some color without worrying about the damage of leaf raking almost all year long. I have planted some boxwoods with some success. Please recommed what we can do with this area that is almost constanly raked from May to November.

Thanks - Carlisle, PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping with Sycamore trees

I use a blower to blow the leaves out from my plant beds then use the tractor to shred them and pick them up. I do agree that they are VERY messy trees. Not just the leaves, but the bark and twigs and branches everywhere! Ugh!

You could try ornamental grasses, taller, upright perennials, or blooming bushes. It all depends on if it is bright shade or full shade. It is hard to find much to bloom in full shade. You normally have to go with interesting foliage plants and play with foliage colors and textures. Upright hostas, ornamental grasses, liriope, sedum, etc.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here