Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

Finally got caterpillars!

madsquopper
18 years ago

I've had butterfly weed for a couple of years and this is the first time the monarchs have found it. Here's one of the caterpillars munching on a leaf.

{{gwi:1051380}}

Larry

Comments (9)

• kimka
    18 years ago

Great photo Larry.

KimKa

• Laurel7286
    18 years ago

Lovely, really.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

Great picture! Monarch caterpillars are so neat looking. I don't understand why I have not seen any. I mean I purchased a pack of butterfly weed seeds and all. Ohh...I have to actually sow the seeds and grow the plants. ;-) That is on my "to do" list for next year. I have added a lot of nectar plants to my yard this year and next year I hope to add some more host plants.

- Brent

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I had several (2+") on my new butterfly weed (winter sown-hint hint Brent)). I looked today, and they were gone- perhaps pupated? Do they stay on the plant for that? If so, they're gone.

Did find 3 new ones though. Cute little babies!

• cfmuehling
    18 years ago

Ummmm....
    I had understood these are actually swallowtail caterpilllars!

I have bronze fennel I grow specifically for these babies.
    The past couple of years I've had these eating it, then 10 to 20 cocoons on the fennel.

I know, though, this summer I have monarchs, vs. Viceroys, for the very first time.

We should head over to the butterfly board!

Christine

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

I've had success this summer with 2 Monarch caterpillars and lots of Tiger Swallowtails...but unfortunately I also have praying mantis all over the place. Good for eating the bad guys...but unfortunately the good guys too. One day the caterpillars are there and the next day they aren't.
    Bonnie

• madsquopper
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Holy cow! I went out to look at the butterfly weed today and it was stripped bare! There must have been 20 caterpillars on it desperately nibbling on stalk tips or seed pods. I wonder what they're going to do now.

• gardnwatch
    18 years ago

I'm envious..... I've got enough butterfly weed to feed your caterpillars, and everyone elses too. I've got one lone caterpillar one day and the next , it is gone. This has happened several times. Larry, I guess your weed tastes better than mine.......
    Bonnie

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I'm pretty sure one of my monarchs made it- there was a chrysalis pretty high up in my pole beans. I was sure it was a tomato hornworm, as the coloring was the same. Did some research and found out it was a monarch. It was an empty shell several days later. I could see wing structure through it the last time I saw it.
    Still have lots of cats in various stages on the butterfly weed. Guess I ought to do a mantis check- there are plenty of other bugs for them to eat!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor