Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwiggin3

Sunflower Help

dwiggin3
17 years ago

Hello all - It's been a while but I've yet again, found the need to consult the wisdom of the group.

I have a very small plot of soil (2f X 3f) that is right up next to a brick wall. Presumably, a bush once lived their. Over the last 3 years, IÂve planted flowers successfully and tried veggies (unsuccessful). Each fall, I weed. Each spring I dig up the compacted dirt; add new dirt and usually compost and plant  thatÂs about all I do as far as "putting the garden to bed and waking it up". I get direct afternoon sun beginning around 12 until sunset. There is also a fair amount of natural indirect light all day and the brick radiates heat.

This year, I tried growing flowers directly from seed in the ground. I donÂt know much about how to start a seed indoors so I just never tried. Anyhow, I planted some random variety of sunflowers and one has taken root. I planted it back in May. ItÂs about 3.5 feet tall. It has several blooms on it, one which just opened. I would have thought it would be much taller and the main stem thicker by now. IÂve taken to using an old tomato cage to provide support. Any thoughts on why its not very tall or the stem seems thin? Also, the leaves are being eaten by something  I donÂt see any bugs and the apt. a few doors down is growing veggies from a pot (it seems they do nothing and the stuff grows fine). I fertilized with miracle gro about a month ago and thatÂs it.

I donÂt know anything about sunflowers but would like to try to grow them again. Can anyone direct me to some sunflower growing info or share their experiences? Also, any idea whatÂs eating the leaves?

Comment (1)