Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Olive in Philadelphia region?

Posted by silverneedle SE PA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 16:09

I would like to plant a sweet olive (osmanthus fragrans) for my mother since it's her favourite, but we are in the surburbs of Philadelphia and I am told that these shrubs can be difficult in zone 7.

Has any one had any success with them in SE PA? Should I wait until spring to give them the best chance of surviving the winter?

Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Olive in Philadelphia region?

I have seen one plant at the National Arboretum in Washington DC grown outside. It was not much to look at & was in a fairly sheltered location.

I would say that you would need an optimal highly sheltered location in Philadelphia. In exceptionally cold weather (under 10 Fahrenheit), you might have to rig a temporary shelter, with twinkle lights.

Hope that this helps!

Dan

o
RE: Sweet Olive in Philadelphia region?

Silverneedle, if you search in GardenWeb for Osmanthus heterophyllus in all the forums, especially Shrubs and Fragrant Plants, you will find a good bit of discussion and information about which Osmanthus varieties will do well in your area. Osmanthus fragrans, as Dan pointed out, needs an exceptional spot to survive. The others will do very well in our zone 6b and 7 winters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here