Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID needed on tomato from swap

Posted by gardenpaws_VA z7 NoVA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 22:11

I got several tomato plants at the spring swap from someone whose plants had become tag-less but had stayed together. Now that I've got fruit, I'm wondering if the grower (or anyone else) ever figured out what was what!
Specifically, I have one which came to me as U (for unknown)-17 . It's a potato-leaf pink, oblate, slightly lobed but definitely not scalloped (the ribs are more noticeable than the indentations), very slight radial cracking, and a conspicuous star at the blossom end. I believe I was told that some of the possible varieties were Marianna's Peace, some sort of Brandywine, and Pruden's Purple.
All assistance gratefully received - it's a good tomato!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID needed on tomato from swap

Pruden's Purple is not potato-leaf -- at least not the absolutely, fabulously yummy Pruden's Purple I got from Cecilia (thanks, Cecilia!) at the swap.

(Oh how I hate those in-text ads!)

IALBTC

o

Pink Brandywine is a potato leaf, and I had some, but I didn't have any Marianna's Peace, so I can't be sure it was mine.

o

Laurel7286, I'm no longer sure where I heard what, so MP might not have been part of the U- collection, but I got tomatoes from two people. One provided Black Cherry, Akers WVA and a couple of others by arrangement, with names, and the other had an unfortunate contretemps with labels so had lots of plants with various U-designations (plus a smaller number with names). If you were one of my donors, my apologies for forgetting which one you are. I did have (mostly OP) tomatoes myself, also, in little foam cups with the names on the rim.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here