Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do you bring your tropicals indoors?

Posted by lvmygrdn z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 21, 06 at 6:15

I have a mandevilla vine that is blooming it's head off. I want to try and winter it over. I've not tried this with a mandevilla but have with tropical hibiscus with success. Would I bring it indoors around the same time as the hibiscus?
Thanks, Ree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do you bring your tropicals indoors?

I always brought my mandie in with my hib. I usually do that here around Columbus Day weekend as the outdoor & indoor temps tend to be about the same, making the transition for the plants easier... Plus I have a long weekend to do the plant moves.

o

Most of the tropicals get taken in when the temperature starts getting into the low 40's at night. If it's only going to be one night in the upper 30's and then warm up I'll let them stay out. For the mandevilla, I cut that back severely before bringing it in, same with the allamanda and the brugmansia. Then I let them stay dormant (mor or less) in the basement, although they do start growing shoots again my midwinter.

o

So you don't keep the mandevilla in light? I keep the hibiscus in a sunny spot. It doesn't stay as lush but it stays green. I do cut the hibiscus back. I did winter over a ginger last year. I just let it dry out and put it in the basement and forgot about it until spring. Should I do that with the mandevilla as well? I use to be more on the ball but lately my mind isn't as sharp as it use to be. It's been a hard year with the passing of my parents. Thanks for replying to my endless questions.

o

When I've brought the mandie in, I didn't let it go completely dry - maybe water it once a month or so to make sure it didn't get bone dry. It doesn't need light either (the leaves will drop off but that's normal). I keep my hib near some table lamps and by the glass doors, although it doesn't get any direct sun in winter. It'll drop some leaves initially but then adapts. Been doing that for almost 12 years with it!

Gosh... I don't even want to think of bringing stuff in!

o

I've already bought my Venus Fly Trap indoors. I don't care how mild it might get: he's staying indoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here