Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lychnis Chalcedonia (Maltese Cross)

Posted by lvmygrdn z7 MD (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 8:15

Has anyone grown this? How does it do in this area and how tall did it get? I love the color and form of the flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lychnis Chalcedonia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lychnis Chalcedonia (Maltese Cross)

I've been growing this for about 5 years. It is an intense red, which brings the eye right to that garden spot. Unique flower. Mine gets about 2 feet in height. It is growing in part sun here, so it tends to flop and trail but still look nice. No pest or disease problems.

o

Found it easy to start from seed but it did not make the Winter. Have not tried more than that once. Same with the ones with larger, flaming orange and burnt orange flowers(haageana) I think. Were not perennial for me.

o

I love this stuff.
Mine, in full sun, gets about 3' tall. It blooms, I deadhead, and it puts out a second flush of bright orange/red blossoms. Fabulous!

Christine

o

I'm going to take a stab at this. It was on sale so I figure what the heck. Thanks for all your replies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here