Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nellie83

Need something evergreen to add privacy above 6' fence

nellie83
12 years ago

We live in a dense neighborhood with very small yards. Our house aprox 3 feet higher elevation than the house behind us. Though we have a 6' fence, the windows from our family room look directly into our neighbors kitchen. There are also above ground cable TV and power lines that run above the fence.

The fence runs E-W, so the side of the fence facing our house is on the South side. There is a large tree next door that throws alot of shade on our side of the fence from mid-day to evening.

We are looking for something that will screen the area above the fence, and will stay green year round. The length of the area to cover is about 12 feet. It needs height of at least 18" above the existing 6' fence, but not to exceed 20' or else can be sheared or pruned to that height. We went to Meadows Farms in Fairfax County, and they have some tall Emerald Green Arborvitae. But in looking further, we spotted a beautiful Little Gem magnolia that have been trained as an espalier. It is currently about 4' wide and about 7' tall at its tallest point.

My concern with the Emerald Greens is that the ones our neighbor planted 3 years ago to solve the same problem are developing some dead spots between them. Is this from lack of proper care or planting, or does this always happen?

My concern about the Little Gem is that my other neighbors who have large magnolia trees in their yard complain about the constant leaf and pod shedding. Will the foliage of the Little Gem

Can anyone give us some guidance on which of these options would be best - or is there another plant that would be even better?

Here are some pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: View of fence

Comments (7)

• Mike Larkin
    12 years ago

Would you consider extenting the fence posts, then running a strong wire (like the kind used in orchards) and allowing the vine that is growing to the left to continue . It would cover the top part of the fence quicker that the arbs, much cheaper. You would have to buy 8, or 10 ft 4x4's and attach to the current posts.
    If that vine is not adequet - plant a fall blooming clematis ( mass of white flowers)
    Not you typical evergreen wall, just a different apporach.

I think the brown spots on the arbs maybe due to care, I am not sure what you summer weather was like. Here in PA it was hot and dry , they the rains came. Not the best growing weather.
    I think the arbs would be a good choice as long as you had plenty of sun.
    Mike

• skp123
    12 years ago

Have you considered Red Tip Photinia? They are much more interesting than a standard evergreen. New growth in Spring has a red color, it flowers in summer and colors up in the fall. Be warned, the flowers are strong smelling. They grow 15 ft or so, you would need to prune hedge to keep them from getting bushy.

Just a thought. Good luck.
    Susan

• speediebean
    12 years ago

Hi there. I hope I'm not too late, but what about Otto Lyukens (Schip Laurels)? They get about 6-8 feet tall, about 4-5 feet wide, they're evergreen, and they get lovely tiny little white flower-spikes that bees and butterflies love. They prefer more shade (especially during the time of afternoon that you're getting the shade in that area), but they will tolerate full sun as well, though they do flourish more in shade.
    I hope this was of some help and not too late. :)

• carol6ma_7ari
    12 years ago

Bamboo?

• Mike Larkin
    12 years ago

If you have enough sun, the Emerald Green arborvitae stays narrow and grows tall. A row would work, but would be a little boring. Maybe a few Emerald Green in middle and in each corner Viburnum x pragense, blooms white flowers in spring, or semi evergreen Viburnum. X rhytidophylloides 'Allegheny' has dark-green leaves that set of the reddish-black fruits. It also flowers in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Garden Ideas

• reyesuela
    12 years ago

Pyracantha works.

• eibren
    12 years ago

Allegheny Viburnums grow relatively quickly, for Viburnams, and get 18 ft tall eventually. They might hold their leaves in your area.

Sponsored