Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimka_gw

Fall Swap - My House - October 6

kimka
11 years ago

I will be hosting the Fall MAG swap at my house on Saturday, October 6, starting at about 10 a.m. in close in Silver Spring , MD.

Address: Kim Kaplan

2911 Woodstock Ave.

Silver Spring, MD 20910

301-588-5314

There is only parking for 5 or 6 cars at the house. After that, parking is on the street and walk down the driveway (which is only 300 feet).

Directions:

From 495 Beltway going west.

Take the Silver Spring/Georgia Ave. exit, going north.

If traffic is heavy, go right on Forest Glen Rd., make a U-turn and come back across.

Or Left at the traffic light for Forest Glen Road.

Pass the cemetery, gas station, castle, railroad tracks and go overtop the Beltway on the overpass.

Immediately at the end of the overpass, bear right onto Newcastle.

Twenty feet later, go left on Woodley Ave. This takes you up a hill to a five way intersection

Make a right onto Woodstock Ave. (which is marked with a No Outlet sign)

Three curves later, turn right into a shared driveway marked with a post with five house numbers on it including 2911. (These numbers are not completely in sequence: 2907, 2909, 2911, 2913, 2921)

Bear left where it looks like the driveway dead ends,

I�m the grey house in the middle with the gravel parking spaces across from the garage.

From 495 Beltway going east

Get off at Connecticut Ave exit going north (which is a left turn at the end of the exit ramp (at the light)

Turn right onto Beach Drive.

When Beach Dr. deadends at the T, turn right.

Turn left at the next corner onto Forsythe. Carefully stay on Forsythe and follow the curve to the right and go up the hill.

At the five way intersection turn right onto Woodstock Ave.

.(which is marked with a No Outlet sign)

Three curves later, turn right into a shared driveway marked with a post with five house numbers on it including 2911. (These numbers are not completely in sequence: 2907, 2909, 2911, 2913, 2921)

Bear left where it looks like the driveway dead ends,

I=m the grey house in the middle

Comments (8)

• daysquid
    11 years ago

I'd like to attend this event. How many plants does one typically bring to an event like this? I'm also happy to help out with food/beverage. Let me know what I can do. And thank you.

• kimka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MAG swaps tend to be very informal with anything goes (except for taking plants labeled with people�s names for prearranged trades. People bring anywhere from no plants to a dozen or more. Many of the plants will be bare root and wrapped in newspaper or tucked into plastic bags rather than potted upped.

There are haves, wants and what I'm bring for the potluck threads on the exchange page as well as basic instructions for the swap.

If you see something on the "haves" thread that you want, you email the person directly and ask for it. If you have stuff to swap, you offer it. If not, just say I don't really have anything to swap so I'm bringing chocolate...I mean something to eat. At our swaps, we pretty much just offer our plants to new homes and when you reach the point of having plants to divide and pass on, you do the same for the next group of newbie gardeners.

On the day of the swap, you set out your prearranged trades (labeled with the person's name and what the plant is) and in a second grouping anything you are giving away. People just stroll around asking about plants and take what they want.

We talk gardening and gossip from about 10 to 11:30ish and then adjourn for the potluck. After lunch, anything left is pushed on people (If you look at something, you have to take one; if you ask about it, you have to take too.)

The fall swap is usually pretty small 5-10 people (although I'm also inviting some of my gardening neighbors). The Spring swap is the big one, usually in early May and it can have 35 to more than 75 people offering a dizzying array of plants. You may want to peruse the Spring 2012 haves list just to get an idea of how many different plants were offered last year (which has a relatively small turn out).

We are a friendly bunch and welcome new people.

• daysquid
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the scoop on how all of this works. Much appreciated. I'm a little confused on the potluck thread and exchange page. I'm going to see if I can find these things. I've never seen them before. Again, thanks for your help.

• kimka
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To the right of the On Topics header on the front page of the MAG forum you'll see Exchange and Conversations. Click on Exchange and you'll see the haves, wants and food thrreads.

• oscarthecat
    11 years ago

Hi Kim, sorry I will miss the fellowship. Going to be in OC that weekend. See u at the seed swap.

• shadysite
    11 years ago

I'll be in California, but I wish I could be there We have populated our back slope with many plants from exchanges!

• WhoDeWho
    11 years ago

Does anyone know who brought the Easter Egg Plant at the last Spring 2012 MAG Swap? It was one of the last of the don't leave plants and with such a cool name, off the plant went home with me. I have my 1st egg (yellow) and it's a huge hit. I wanted to say thank you to the original owner.

• busyasabee
    11 years ago

had a good time last Saturday, got all my newly adopted plants in the ground. Thank you Kim for hosting.

Jette

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler