Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Palms in northern Virginia

JohnnieB
16 years ago

Yes, we can grow palms in the mid-Atlantic region! Over the last few years I've met several gardeners in the Washington, DC area who have been experimenting with hardy palms and I recently had the pleasure of visiting 2 gardens in northern Virginia, one in Alexandria and the other in Arlington, that have quite impressive collections of palms. Here are just a couple of highlights; first a view of the palms at the Alexandria garden, with windmill palm (Trachycarpus fortunei) on the right and needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix) in the center:

And in the Arlington garden, a windmill palm towering over a clump of hardy bananas, Musa basjoo:

More photos of the Alexandria garden:

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/dctropics/FSGC_picnic_Sept_07

More photos of the Arlington garden:

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b149/dctropics/Mystery%20location

Comments (3)

• Downeastmd
    16 years ago

xxx

• janad_98
    16 years ago

I am in Columbia, MD., halfway between DC & Balt. I planted a Pindo & a Windmill this summer. Doing great so far. We'll see how they are after the winter!

• JohnnieB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janad, you're pushing it with a pindo, which is really a zone 8 plant and will need quite a bit of protection in our climate. However, the windmill should do well. They benefit from some protection in their first winter; at the very least a thick mulch over the roots and around the stem will go a long way--I use autumn leaves, piled up rather loosely, which also helps improve the soil as it breaks down. Even so, you can expect the spear (the unopened emerging leaf) to pull out after a cold winter; don't give up as they will usually recover from this as long as the damage isn't otherwise too severe. My own windmill palm, in the ground about 3 years, took a major hit last winter with the spear pulling and most of the leaves frying; I thought it was a goner for sure, but it recovered and has put out several new leaves this year.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022