Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver Spring Garden Club Plant Swap - September 17

Posted by kimka zB (jkkaplan@erols.com) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 9:59

Just thought I'd pass this notice along:

Silver Spring Garden Club Third Annual Club Plant Swap
and deer management talk
Monday, September 17 at Brookside Gardens Visitors Center, 1800 Glenallan Avenue, Wheaton, Md.

Plant sorting begins at 7:30 pm with the swap starting at 8:00pm.

They ask people to please pot plants up now, as the longer they can get settled in their pots, the better their chance of success and survival. Please label all your swap plants with as much info as you have. (No garden plants to share? you may bring store-bought plants.)

The plant swap will be immediately followed by a Home Owner Workshop on Deer by Rob Gibbs, a wildlife ecologist with the M-NCPPC Montgomery County Department of Parks.

Post-talk meeting refreshments are provided by Silver Spring Garden
Club members.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver Spring Garden Club Plant Swap - September 17

Thanks kimka for passing this along. Can you tell me a little more about what goes on at a plant swap as I've never been to one? Thanks.

o
RE: Silver Spring Garden Club Plant Swap - September 17

I'm not a member of the Silver Spring Garden Club myself, so if there is a member reading this forum, maybe they can add more information. But it looks like a semiformal swap. People bring plants, which are then sorted into groups like sun perennials, part sun peremnials, part shade, house plants, herbs etc. People get a chance to browse. Then groups of people are called forward to each select one plant, then called forward to select another, then another round until most plants have been taken. Left overs are then free for the taking.

This is somewhat more formal than the MAG swap, where people just put plants out beside their car and browsers just pick up what they want (except for the "pre-arranged trades" which are marked for people by name). In the MAG swap, food (read chocolate) substitutes for bringing plants, doesn't appear so for the Silver Spring Garden Club.

If you want to attend the Silver Spring Garden Club swap, email me privately at jkkaplan "at" erols.com. I'm planning on bringing a bunch of plants. You are welcome to use some of them as your contribution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here