Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lvmygrdn

Boltonia Snowbank & Malva Alchea Fastigiata

lvmygrdn
17 years ago

Suja- you mentioned Boltonia & Malva Fastigiata for the back of my border on another post. Does the Malva reseed heavily and how fast a grower is Boltonia. How wide? The plants will be in front of a window and brick wall so they must be able to take heat and be lighter in color. It is southern exposure. I'm open to suggestions from anyone. I'm looking for something around 3-4 ft. I'm also looking at Helianthus, Rudbeckia and Veronicastrum (but this needs moisture, right?). I don't mind watering. Right now I have Phlox David and some cannas in the area. I am moving the phlox. I have a lot of purple & blue in the garden and it's too dark from the street. I'm open to shrubs too but don't have the room if they want to spread 6-7 feet. Suja, I'm embarassed to tell you I lost the salvia you gave me. I inadvertantly pulled it out early spring. I felt terrible. Thanks much. Ree

Comments (8)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Yes on Malva reseeding. Not to the point where it is a pest though, because while I had seedlings to share for Spring 05, I had none this year. Boltonia gets big quickly - Mine got pretty close to mature height the first year. Each of the Boltonia plants are about 2' in diameter, in their 3rd year. My plants are in full blazing sun, at least 8 hours of it, and are fine. No supplemental watering either. Shrubby and not too tall is Caryopteris Worcester Gold, and the lighter foliage might be what you are looking for. I just picked up a Caryopteris Snow Fairy (variegated foliage, not too significant blue flowers), which would look smashing with Boltonia and all the other purples and blues you have.

Which Salvia did you lose? I should have plenty of Uliginosa for fall and some Blue Cloud for Spring.

Suja

• lvmygrdn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Suja,
    It was the Uliginosa. Sometimes it doesn't pay to weed. :-(
    The Caryopteris Snow Fairy is beautiful. I can see that with the Boltonia. Did you get the 'Snow Fairy' locally? I do like the clear pink of the malva or so it looks in the photo. Is it a clear pink? I must sound so fussy but I am not. My garden is a hodge podge of sorts. Somehow it all works. :-)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

I didn't think it was possible to kill Uliginosa. I'll be bringing plenty more to the fall swap and probably the spring one too, so you're always welcome to as much of it as you want. I got the Snow Fairly locally, at Merrifield. Be warned that it smells (like cat urine, someone said, but I have no reference point for that), but it is really pretty. The malva is a beautiful clear pink which pretty much works with blues/purples and other pastels.

• lvmygrdn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Suja, I pulled the Uliginosa out (by mistake)in early spring. It was at the back of the border. I had just planted in the the fall so it must have come out pretty easy. That was not my intention. I was weeding and moving plants. I realized what I did way too late. I waited for it to appear and it never did. Then I remembered what I did. What an *$^$($.

• sfmiller
    17 years ago

The boltonia is a great back of the border plant for hot dry spots, but I suspect you'll have trouble keeping it below 4 ft. I cut mine back by half in early summer and it still gets to 5+ feet.

It can spread pretty aggressively too, in a spot it likes--although the new growth is easily dug up in the spring.

(In other words: if you want some, I'll have tons next spring.)

Steven

• spanaval
    17 years ago

I tried googling the archives for the thread I'm remembering, but couldn't find it. Anyway, there was some discussion about the aggressive tendencies of Boltonia Snowbank, and I think the general concensus was that while it increases in clump size, it does not aspire to world domination, while the straight species does. I'm wondering if there is a possibility that yours is the species, Steven.

(In other words, if you want some test plants, I'd be happy to provide you some of mine)

Suja

• sfmiller
    17 years ago

That's possible, Suja. Mine was labeled 'Snowbank,' but you know how that goes sometimes. Most recently, my so-called Heliopsis 'Lemon Queen' that grew like a champ and is flowering orange....grrrr

Whatever it is, I like the boltonia and don't find the spreading particularly objectionable, since the offshoots are easily dug up and given away or composted in the spring, and that's it till next spring. It's not as rampantly thuggish as gooseneck loosestrife or mints or something like that.

Steven

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Steven, I can give you some of my Helianthus 'Lemon Yellow' if you'd like, come Spring. My memory is like a sieve, so I will need a reminder.

I'd love to try the orange blooming thing in return. Any idea what it might be?

Suja

Here is a link that might be useful: Helianthus 'Lemon Yellow'

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions