Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizfriedel

best tomatos 2007

lizfriedel
16 years ago

I know it's early but, which tomato varieties did best for you this year?

Comments (9)

• kimbyj
    16 years ago

Nevis Azorean Red (great), Red Rocket (didn't like the flavor tho), Super Marzano (great), Sun Gold cherries did well considering drought in MD.

Brandywines, Marvel Stripe (did well in 2006 and yummy), Hillbilly got fusarium wilt.

Green Zebra, Purple Calabash never grew.

Wasn't a great year.

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

I had a really bad year in '06 but this year has been excellent...in spite of the unusually high temps and drought.

Another vote for Neves Azorean Red. My largest (ever) weighed in @ 2lbs 9.7 oz. (Pic below) Otherwise, Heidi was my best paste type this year. My 3 plants have pumped out a couple of 100 tomatoes so far.
    I always grow one sungold, that's all we need.

Neves Azorean Red;

My very best tomato this year is an unknown type. The only thing I can figure is that my Opalka tomatoes got crossed with an unknown plant last year. They do sorta resemble Opalka. I always plant Opalka but this year I have none. I know I started seeds which I collected last year. It's one of the best tasting tomato I've had and that includes the ever popular brandywine, which I'm also growing. I also have Marianna's Peace, Black Krim, Noir De Crime, Boxcar Willie, Wes, (new to me this year) and Garden Peach.

Unknown tomato;

Notice some of the fruits are red and others are pink. They all came from the same plant.

• lizfriedel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks kimby. I love green zebra and sungold. Still trying to find a great red. I don't like the really sweet ones for slicing and my soil is a little acidic so, memories and trying new varieties is what i have for reds in ground. I have Celebrity, Big Beef and Superfantastic 's in pots. I have a tiny patch of full day sun that's not right in front of my front door. Otherwise I like in the woods and get VERY little sun in one place more then 3-4 hours. We've had a community garden in the past that was great except some of the players weren't as cooperative. Mom has a garden-great soil. That's where I dicovered GZ. Not knock your socks off but really pretty and mild yet zippy and fun. I'm looking forward to maybe a private attempt in the remains of the community garden next year.

Peggy- WOW! look at the size of that 'mater! How'd it taste? Did you or close neighbors plant any Cherokee Purple last year that may have crossed with Opalka?

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

Could that unknown tomato be a Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Cherokee Purple'?

• patapscomike
    16 years ago

I grew 5 varieties this year in raised beds, and the "German Queen" blew them all away. Yummy, yummy, yummy. Big, thick and meaty, really nice pink outside and dark red inside. Both sweet and tart. It never developed BER even when 3 of my other species were hit about a month ago (all have since recovered). Mine were not huge producers, but they are productive enough and are still cranking out a few each day. I'm going to save a pile of these seeds for sure.

As always, my "Better Boys" are extremely productive and reliable. I only have two, but I can make a huge pot of sauce twice a week with just two BB's. They are tasty too, I like them a lot- hybrids or not.

• lizfriedel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OO-OO-OO, Patpascomike,If you have a pile of seeds would you be interested in donating some to a good cause?-ME? Sounds like one of those really good ones that hasn't hit big yet. Kind of like a "lurker" tomatoe. LOL

• patapscomike
    16 years ago

Yeah sure Liz, I'll certainly have far more than I can deal with. I'd be happy to mail some seeds to anyone who would like some. It's easy enough to put some in an envelope.

I know I'll be bugging others for seeds soon enough. I really want to get my hands on some sungold and cherokee purples for next season.

Can't believe I'm already plotting for next year when I'm still up to my ears in tom's. It's a sickness.

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

The Neves Azorean is a very tasty tomato that always gets high marks. The unknown tomato in the pic was possibly crossed with Marianna's peace. I say that because it's the only pink tomato that I grew last year.

Cherokee purple has never done well for me so I haven't grown them in a few years. I do like the taste and may give them another try in the future.

I've had a bumper crop of tomatoes this year and over the last few days I've been slow roasting some of them...along with some garlic and basil all toassed in olive oil. I haven't made anything with them yet, I've just been freezing them. The finished product is so tasty as the roasting concentrates the tomato flavor. YUM!

• Scott F Smith
    16 years ago

Cherokee Purple also has not done super well for me. This year it grew fine but all the tomatoes were only 2" across (very small). All the toms this year quit early because I didn't water them enough. I may run an irrigation line for next year. The Mariannas Peace and OTV Brandywine were my best two, plus several others were also good (prue, Aunt Gerties Gold). I grew my first hybrid, Big Beef, and they looked great but were well below the OPs for flavor. No more hybrids for me.

Scott

Sponsored