Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Firecracker vine/manettia cordifolia

Posted by kimbyj MD (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 07 at 15:56

Hello
I just purchased one of these beauties and its in a gallon container with a little trellis. The nursery wasn't able to tell me much about it. I know its a perenial and sun/part shade but how do I winter it over? Should I replant it now or wait until next spring? Should I just re-pot it in a huge pot now? Do I cut it back after it dies and then bring it back out in spring?
I'm so excited about this vine but I'm intimidated b/c there's not much info really.
Thanks
Kim

ps-I posted this under vines too

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Firecracker vine/manettia cordifolia

Unless you're in Baltimore City or deep DC where the concrete jungle maybe ups your zone to 8ish, that South American native is unlikely to make it in ground, especially with a fall planting. If you have a real micro climate going on in your yard that gives a lot of extra protection, consider carrying it over indoors and plant in spring when it will have time to get roots down deep before the next winter. Then you might have a chance of getting it through winters in this area. It would make a great patio plant if you pot it up into substantial pot and bring it in each winter.

o
RE: Firecracker vine/manettia cordifolia

Thanks for the advice. That sounds like a good plan: replant it in good pot with trellis and bring it indoors each winter.
Thank you!
Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here