Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vladpup

tomato sadness

vladpup
18 years ago

G'Day!

Evil Tomato Wilt has devistated by tomatoes. Sigh. Only the cherry tomatoes are really producing.

Does this mean that next year i should plant NO tomatoes, and all will be well the year after? i am suspecting that if i plant only cherry tomaotes, they might do fine, but then the wilt would still be around and i would never be able to grow another big tomato.

Anything else i can do to make my soil "tomato-friendly" again?

i know it's wilt and not just drought because even the well-watered tommies have collapsed; the current tomatoes were doing fine until last week, then, in just two day, withered.

It so sad; i had 57 varieties growing, and was SO looking forward to fresh tomatoes! i can only console myself by making up another few quarts of pesto and baking a white "pesto pizza."

Happy gardening,

-vlad

Comments (5)

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Is that the same disease as late blight? We had that in our gardens last year and the extension agent said that the fungus can't overwinter, so it won't stay in the soil to attack your tomatoes next year.

However, it might be a good idea to rotate the position of your tomato plants in your garden. Also, I read that mulching plants with compost helps to repel diseases.

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

Definitely rotate if you can. If it was wilt you can try plants marked Verticillium wilt and Fusarium wilt (VF) resistant varieties. That should help, but does eliminate lots or all of the heirloom varieties.

Two of our favorite tomatoes that always do well are Brandyboy (updated Brandywine) and Sun Gold (cherry).

Larry

• Laurel7286
    18 years ago

It doesn't sound like V wilt to me vlad, because usually v wilt doesn't cause tomatoes to actually look wilted.

This is the best page for identifying tomato disease:

Here is a link that might be useful: disease identifier

• mdgardengurl
    18 years ago

Hey Vlad....sorry about your tomatoes! It started out a great year for ours - bumper crops of beautiful fruit. Then the rains came and drowned them and they all started splitting open. After that, all the dry heat stressed them more. They've been rotting before they even get fully ripe. All of our gardeners have been having the same problem with the tomatoes, so in our case, it's been the weather rather than the soil. The cherry tomatoes have done much better than the larger varieties. Next year, I will plant a few plants in pots where I can have more control over their 'weather'.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Garden Club website

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Sorry Vlad:( Gardening is funny...a good year, a bad year...wait another year.

I'm suspicious...what type of soil do you have? Which tomatoes are you growing? Hybrids? Heirlooms? Do you mulch well? Do you allow water to splash on the leaves when you irrigate?

I seriously recommend you post this on the tomato disease forum. That's a lotta maters you lost there and you need to find out why so you don't have a repeat. It's such a shame and I really feel for you!

I grow a lot of heirlooms and I have problems with blight...early? Late? I don't know the difference. I haven't watered my tomatoes all summer tho we've had very little rain. My woodland plants are stressing bad and pulmonaria, ginger, and Rhodies are shriveling. (even the evil bermuda grass is stressed) My tomatoes are well mulched with compost, grass clippings & straw. I would never water them. I think they taste better when water is with held. I have about 25 plants and I'm (happily) drowning in maters...glug, glug...

Ps, my garden is on an old septic field and the soil is loamy and rich...that could make a difference.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville