Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammyg_gw

Looking for a focal plant...

SammyG
12 years ago

We have a big patio in our back yard (stamped concrete) with a 3' diameter cut-out in it. So the cut-out isn't very big...

We're looking for ideas of something to plant there :)

The area gets full sun, mostly late morning through late afternoon or evening sun.

A landscaper suggested a limelight hydrangea for the area- I'm not sure if something like that would get too bushy?

Other plants we've thought about were, rose of Sharon or a crepe myrtle. We probably don't want anything over 10' tall and would like it to have a tall, skinny growing habit.

My husband seemed less than enthused when I found out the rose of Sharon gets its leaves very late in spring and doesn't put on much of a fall show.

It's been tough finding a crepe myrtle- maybe our local nurseries are just out of the sizes we're looking for. Most that we've seen get 15' tall and we don't want one that grows up to be too huge.

Any other suggestions, or advice on the 3 I mentioned?

Comments (5)

• madsquopper
    12 years ago

That spot would be death to a hydrangea, and probably a lot of other things. A 3 foot cutout isn't very big for a plant/tree of any size once the roots start to spread out. So you might want to rethink what you want to use that spot for. Try googling "tough street trees" for ideas.

Larry

• SammyG
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input!
    On second notice (now that we've had a few sunny days in a row), it appears the spot doesn't get sun all day like I thought it would. Mostly late afternoon/evening sun (there were other parts of my patio area that get it all day).

Anyway some people at the nursery recommended rose of sharon and the limelight (it's a hydrangea that actually likes the sun!) because they said the root structure wouldn't be invasive at all, and if we kept them pruned short, they shouldn't go too crazy.

I don't know... we are still evaluating :)

Thanks!

• cynthia_gw
    12 years ago

Both hydrangea and Rose of Sharon would be quite ugly focal points in winter. Think aout an evergreen shrub or grasses (miscanthus) which would look good year round. Or just plant annuals in there for summer and clean up in fall.

• Mike Larkin
    12 years ago

I would first try to dig a hole to see how compacted the soil is in the area you want to plant. If it is compacted (due to the installation of the patio), that would be your first thing to consider when selecting plants - what plants grow in that kind of soil you find- how well does it drain.
    Next when do you spend the most time in that area. If you dont go out there much in winter, the hydrangae (summer blooming) would be ok It is not the nices looking winter display! But if you not out there ! - The tree form of that hydrangae ie - Limelight would put on a good display in summer and you could plant some annuals around the base.
    Conifers like a weeping white spruce would fit the spot, however it would get tall.

Consider making a container out of the block that you used for the patio - open at bottom, elevated about 3ft - filed with great planting mix, then plant unusual annuals with big leaves , some hanging plants and interesting colors. Each year you can make it different. Or -- You could even plant a small flowering tree and now the roots would have a little mor room

Have a good time planning

Mike

• i_like_pi
    12 years ago

Maybe a Windmill Palm (Trachycarpus Fortunei)?

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm