Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

small greenish red berries..what are they?

donnas_gw
16 years ago

We were sitting outside this evening and noticed that there are small greenish red berries on a tree next door. The berries that I found which were ripe are red, but when the sun hits them, the entire stem of berries look orange. These berries are round and are just a little smaller than peas. They don't droop, they grow on stems straight up. The leaves are elongated, about 2" long, about 1" across, and are pointed at the end. They also have jagged edges, but you really have to look close to see those edges. The veins in the leaves run downward toward the point of the leaf. This is the first year we've seen these berries on this tree. This tree was mostly uprooted a couple years ago and now lays on it's side, but it still produces green leaves in the summer. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post a picture for you. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• collectordi
    16 years ago

Could be Lonicera maackii. Do a Google image search and see if that looks like it. Lonicera maackii is an invasive pest. I just call it the weed bush.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

collectordi, I don't think it's that one, but the leaves do look the same. These berries aren't in clusters and are not close together. The stems to which these berries are attached are about 3-4 inches long. There are individual berries on each side of those stems going all the way from the top to the bottom, each about 1/2" apart. I don't remember seeing any white flowers on this tree either.

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

Can you post a picture?

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a picture coming soon (I don't have a digital camera)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!