Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small greenish red berries..what are they?

Posted by donnas Z7 VA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 07 at 19:54

We were sitting outside this evening and noticed that there are small greenish red berries on a tree next door. The berries that I found which were ripe are red, but when the sun hits them, the entire stem of berries look orange. These berries are round and are just a little smaller than peas. They don't droop, they grow on stems straight up. The leaves are elongated, about 2" long, about 1" across, and are pointed at the end. They also have jagged edges, but you really have to look close to see those edges. The veins in the leaves run downward toward the point of the leaf. This is the first year we've seen these berries on this tree. This tree was mostly uprooted a couple years ago and now lays on it's side, but it still produces green leaves in the summer. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't post a picture for you. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small greenish red berries..what are they?

Could be Lonicera maackii. Do a Google image search and see if that looks like it. Lonicera maackii is an invasive pest. I just call it the weed bush.

o

collectordi, I don't think it's that one, but the leaves do look the same. These berries aren't in clusters and are not close together. The stems to which these berries are attached are about 3-4 inches long. There are individual berries on each side of those stems going all the way from the top to the bottom, each about 1/2" apart. I don't remember seeing any white flowers on this tree either.

o

Can you post a picture?

o

I have a picture coming soon (I don't have a digital camera)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here