Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Plant ID from the May swap

karyn1
16 years ago

I lost the tag for this plant and would love to know what it is. I got it at the May swap. It's covered in hundreds of little purplish flowers and is just beautiful. I posted on the ID forum but thought I'd try here too.

Thanks,

Karyn

{{gwi:343403}}

{{gwi:343404}}

Comments (4)

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I didn't give it to you, but it's Lespedeza thunbergii. If you got it from Rosewoman, it's Lespedza thunbergii Gibralter. Gorgeous aren't they? Do not cut it back in fall. In winter, the branches curve upwards, and the effect is wonderful. Cut it back to the ground in spring.

• giverny
    16 years ago

I got mine from Rose in fall 2004, and just love it. I have mine planted in at an angle so it goes over a dry stone stack wall - looks great! I'd love to try growing one upright to have its fountain-like form, but haven't seen any seedlings of this yet in my garden. Is that how it's usually propagated, or is it by division?

Thanks, Mea

• rosewomann
    16 years ago

You did get it from me! I was so happy I had something good to give you, because you loaded us down with so many great things. Too many to post, some of my faves were the Snapdragons,Salvia & herbs.

I am glad that you love it & proud to be able to spread the joy. Good to hear you both still love it too, Mea & Cynthia. It's one of my favorite late summer bloomers. Anyone have a Crepe Myrtle that would match these blooms? I don't want to buy one unless I'm sure it won't clash, I also have a fabulous, double, deep pink Rose of Sharon blooming at the same time, it blends really well.
    Mea, I divided it, have sent out some seeds, but I don't know how they did.
    Cynthia, I like to leave it unpruned until the spring too, the birds seem to enjoy flying in & out of it. I try to cut it back in early spring so I dont have to preserve the new stems ,while cutting the old. It can be hard to cut all the old wood on an established one with loppers, do any of you use power tools?

Rose

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rose it's really beautiful. It just sat there and didn't do much for the longest time. All of a sudden in Aug it started growing like mad then was covered (still is) with the magenta blooms. I was a Brookside Gardens yesterday and saw that they have a couple huge ones. they also have a white variety that the bees were going crazy over. That hadn't produced seeds yet so I'll go back in a couple weeks. The grounds crew was doing a major clean up and I went home with 2 diaper bags full of seeds and cuttings. I need them like a hole in the head but I can't resist new plants that I don't have. lol Thanks for the ID and thanks for the beautiful plant.
    Karyn

Sponsored